Can't open file becasue Read-Error

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Ching

Can't open file becasue Read-Error

Post by Ching »

Pls help! But my file is too large can't attach it, how to do it?
Read-Error.
Format error discovered in the file in sub-document content.xml at 2,336192(row,col).
OpenOffice4.1.10 on Win 10 Pro
Hagar Delest

Re: Can't open file becasue Read-Error

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Plenty of topics about that here. Try: [Tutorial] Format error discovered in sub-document.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Ching

Post by Ching »

I read this Tutorial before sending the post. The Tutorial was too difficult for me because I am just a junior user of a computer. Can I send the problem file to you for fixing?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Post it on a file sharing service and show the link here; make sure the file can be downloaded without a login.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Ching

Post by Ching »

robleyd

Post by robleyd »

Sorry, it wants me to sign in.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Ching

Post by Ching »

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I found that content.xml within the provided file had an incorrect checksum, which indicates file corruption for some reason. My current time-schedule does not permit attempts to open that file to investigate if there is any usable content.

I suggest you use the methods outlined in this tutorial to attempt to find a now deleted or backup version of the file

[Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files

Do this as promptly as possible. If your file has been reviewed by a tutor, perhaps best to request a copy from him.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Ching

Post by Ching »

"Restore Previous Versions" got the result: There are no previous versions available Using.
Pls help, the problem file has a lot of important information.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Use an undelete utility as soon as possible, such as PhotoRec or Recuva. The longer you leave this, the less chance of a helpful recovery.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

The .odt file is badly damaged. content.xml, which contains the content of the document; and eight of the images fail the CRC test and cannot be extracted.
 Edit: Two thoughts ...

AOO obviously opens content.xml and gets as far as character 336,192 before running into trouble - probably because this where the corruption starts. I wonder if the French utility which works on truncated files might help? See https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... ed#p516853

Also, I wonder if renaming to .odt to .zip and using a ZIP repair utility might allow something to be recovered.

I am not on my normal PC so cannot check.  
Abandon hope with the file and follow the methods in [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files which gives detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are to be deleted.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Edit above.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.