[Solved] Separate document into separate editable columns

Discuss the word processor
Mol_Bolom

[Solved] Separate document into separate editable columns

Post by Mol_Bolom »

I know I can pull this off with a couple different methods (columns + page breaks or tables), but this has come up a lot more frequently than I imagined. Plus those methods involve a lot of manipulation (copying, direct editing of every single page, so gets a little annoying).

Ok, I'll try to describe it as best as possible (as searches have returned nothing, so I presume it's not a common enough use).

I'd like to convert a document into two columns, where each column is separate from the other. In other words, where if I am editing (or creating) a column, only that column gets modified. Meaning, if I reach the bottom of any column, it does not move to the right-most column, but to the working column on the next page.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Libreoffice 7.1.6.2.0
Fedora (temporarily)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Separate document into separate editable columns

Post by Zizi64 »

In my opinion a two column Table is the best workaround for this task. You can set the inner margins, etc... for the better separation of the two columns of the text.

The other tips has some disadvantages:

The text of the Frames can not flow to the next Page...
The Columns+PageBreaks means a lot of manual editing of the text position...
Last edited by Zizi64 on Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

You can use two text frames on each page and link them so that the text flows as you require it to.

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... age_layout
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
Mol_Bolom

Post by Mol_Bolom »

Zizi64 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:58 am In my opinion a two column Table is the best workaround for this task. You can set the inner margins, etc... for the better separation of the two columns of the text.
Thanks, and yeah, that's what I normally do, just wish it was easier, as some documents are fairly large. Meh, it works and is only needed on rare occasions, but enough that I had to at least ask.
Libreoffice 7.1.6.2.0
Fedora (temporarily)
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

You could also do it with just one frame per page as the right column in the attached document - it makes the header/footer a bit tricker than two frames.

Edit: Once you've positioned the frames on one page all you need do is copy and paste them to new pages and set the frame links for them.
Attachments
one frame per page.odt
(12.69 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)