[Solved] Hundredths of hours

Discuss the spreadsheet application
mxdog

[Solved] Hundredths of hours

Post by mxdog »

Many time clocks and employers use 100th of hours instead of minutes for ease of adding does Calc have any built in time formats that conform to this ? ( I am not seeing anything ) or any way to convert to 100ths other then just multiplying minutes by 1.66... which makes using days/hours moot I think.

If so how do i use it .. if not what would be the best way to deal with 100ths of an hour for payroll use i.e. in @ 08.00 out @ 15.25 (03:15) or 7.25 hours in an hours in a day like way ?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.5
keme
Volunteer

Re: Hundredths of hours

Post by keme »

No format does this, but with a bit of reorganizing you may still get what you need:
  • Spreadsheet time data is based on unit "day", so hours are represented as fraction of a day.
  • To work with spreadsheet times and hourly rates, you need to multiply by 24 at some step.
  • If time data fomatted as HH:MM displays 03:15, that value multiplied by 24 and formatted as 00.00 will display 03.25 (as long as the original data does not hold any "date portion").
How you can apply this to your case (if at all viable) depends on how your data are in- and output. If you are not fully helped by the above, perhaps provide more detail and a sample worksheet (calc file).
Last edited by keme on Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
mxdog

Post by mxdog »

Thanks for the reply i just ended up using regular numbers ##.## and doing all the if/else/then stuff to get past midnight changes / past days
it is just funny to me that you can do time HHMMSS.000 for fractions of a second but no one has done a conversion for minutes.seconds.fraction_second after all these years and all the apps/platforms out there ( i know 100th "hour" + "seconds" clocks are rare but they are out there ) it is not like they are not just using an epoch time/date anyway so the conversion is a few lines of code and 100th and 1000th...etc of an hour is a pretty common thing on time clocks and other timers the world over ..

thanks again for the 24 multiplier tip that will shorten some formulas for me instead of the brute force long way i did it ...
OpenOffice 4.1.5
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

t528556.ods
(13.27 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice