ASCII Filter Options shows up every time I try to open my file

Discuss the word processor
Snu

ASCII Filter Options shows up every time I try to open my file

Post by Snu »

So I went to open an important document to me to find it was all symbols and completely screwed up. I have looked up the solutions but nothing I have tried has worked. I'm assuming I did have a temp file that had a back up of this file, but I cleared those out a few days ago. ;-;
I'm tried to use Recuva to find it but after waiting for more than an hour, it came up with nothing. I'm assuming that there's no hope for the file but I thought that maybe since mine isn't "#"s I might have hope and it's not COMPLETELY corrupted yet?

I've attached a photo to show, but basically it's this small amount of symbols on every page, for 604 pages...

PLEASE TELL ME THERE IS A WAY TO FIX THIS. :C
Attachments
Help.odt
(31.24 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Last edited by Snu on Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on Windows 10.
FJCC

Re: ASCII Filter Options shows up every time I try to open my file

Post by FJCC »

Can you upload the file to the forum, where there is a size limit of 128KB, or to a publicly accessible location like google drive?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I doubt there is any hope with that file as it looks like a memory dump. However do upload it so it can be analysed.

What is the file? A .odt? A .doc? A .rtf?

*.od* files are zip files and the beginning "He" in your file is not how a zip file begins. It doesn't start like a .doc file. It doesn't look like a .rtf file nor like a PDF.

Look in the Writer tutorials for the tutorial on finding and un-deleting temporary files. It has several suggestions, including Previous versions on Windows, which may recover an earlier version.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Snu

Post by Snu »

It's an .odt file. I have attached it now
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

You forgot to attach it ...

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

There seems to be nothing useful in the file attached to your first post in the topic; it isn't a valid compressed file and the contents are mainly random bytes. I ran it through strings - a Linux tool to print the sequences of printable characters in files - and got the results in the attached text file.
Attachments
help.txt
(5.51 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Sorry, didn't spot you had added the file to your first post.

It looks to me like a dump of some random memory with no user data.

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any temporary files are to be deleted.

Snu

Post by Snu »

That's crazy it should definitely be something else, not a bunch of random stuff. It was last modified in 2019 apparently although I'm pretty sure I did it in like 2020-2021. I had like 14 pages of information dating all the way back to like 2014 or something. :( I'm really bad when it comes to tutorials unless it's really dumbed down so I'll try to get my fiance to help me out. I reeeeally don't want to lose this.
Snu

Post by Snu »

Update: The whole folder is like this.. None of the files in this folder will open normally.. And nothing in the tutorial helped.. ;-;

Update 2: Some files outside of the folder are screwed too.. :')
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It looks like you have had a major PC problem somehow and not just an AOO problem and, without access to the disk itself, it is very difficult to advise you.

Because the file was last opened a long time ago nothing in the Tutorial will help.

Go Windows > START > Search..., and search the disk for *.od* to see what you find. It may be worth using Recuva to search for all deleted *.od* files.

Run the chkdsk command to check the disk is OK.

Snu

Post by Snu »

John_Ha wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 5:09 pm It looks like you have had a major PC problem somehow and not just an AOO problem and, without access to the disk itself, it is very difficult to advise you.

Because the file was last opened a long time ago nothing in the Tutorial will help.

Go Windows > START > Search..., and search the disk for *.od* to see what you find. It may be worth using Recuva to search for all deleted *.od* files.

Run the chkdsk command to check the disk is OK.

Wait could you explain that a little more? I'm not quite sure I get what you mean