[Solved] Transfer a received document into the default page size

Discuss the word processor
col5064

[Solved] Transfer a received document into the default page size

Post by col5064 »

Hi, I typed out a manuscript for a book in open office, and all neat and tidy it was when I sent it to a publisher on completion. They then proof-read it and sent the proof-read copy back to me for me to veiw. I then open this proof-read copy in open office and it's all over the place, only because the pages are now much narrower! Which means there are much less words to each page, and so what was the bottom of each page where there were footnotes and page numbers, are now in the middle of the next page!!!! All very annoying. Can anybody please tell me how I can transfer this proof-read document what they've sent me with it's narrow pages, into the size of what is my default page size setting? PS. I have already tried copying and pasting the whole lot onto a new blank socument, which does work, but for some reason all the corrections the proof-reader has made (which were visible on the annoying document they sent me with its narrow pages!) have now dissapeared! So I'm back to square one.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
keme
Volunteer

Re: transferring a received document into the default page size

Post by keme »

Most likely, the proofing copy is not meant to represent the final layout but only an intermediate stage to review content.

I may be wrong.

Did you not receive any comments with the proofread copy? Ask the publisher how you should manage that copy, and what they expect in return.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: transferring a received document into the default page size

Post by Bill »

Did you insert the footnotes using File > Insert and insert page numbers in a footer using Insert > Fields > Page Numbers or did you just type the footnotes and page numbers at the bottom of the page as if you were using a typewriter? Footers and page numbers inserted properly should still be at the bottom of the page after the page size is changed. Footnotes and page numbers typed at the bottom of the page will move from the bottom if the page size is changed or a different font is used when viewing the document.

A small sample file showing a footnote and a page number would make it much easier to analyze the problem and suggest a fix. If you just want to change the page size, modify the page size in the page styles that are used in the document.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
col5064

Re: Transfer a received document into the default page size

Post by col5064 »

Thanks very much folks for your suggestions. Page numbers and footnotes were just typed at bottom of page as though using a typewriter! So as you say, that's why they've moved. So I've learnt something there. Thankyou. Now working on new manuscript, so will insert these properly this time as you've said. But regarding this manuscript, I think I'm stumped in my attempts to get it back as it was with same font size and page size, but will keep trying, as would be far easier to work out what's going on if I could. Your last sentence Bill '' If you just want to change the page size, modify the page size in the page styles that are used in the document ''. Not sure how to do that but seems useful. If I could see what page size I used in my original manuscript and then change this proof-read copy accordingly. Thanks a lot anyway Bill and Keme. As you can probably see I'm out of my depth. Can write novels it seems but one of those old people that stumbles along with computers!
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

col5064 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:38 am If you just want to change the page size, modify the page size in the page styles that are used in the document ''. Not sure how to do that but seems useful. If I could see what page size I used in my original manuscript ...
As you seem to need very basic informations I'd start with a simple video: https://youtu.be/jW0PqJf6-Zw

Questions like this can also easily answered via google. Here I used the keywords: openoffice writer set page size

I'm not sure of your expectations: When you never changed anything in Writer you typed your "book" most likely on a page like A4 or letter - as you would do with a regular typewriter. As most books are not published in this size sombody at sometime has to re-format your book.

So maybe now somebody gave you now the right dimensions of the book and your task is now to work to your footnotes etc. As told before: Talk to your publisher.

Writer can actually even create fully layouted books (but lacks color-profiles and pdf/X-export). But then you should start with defining page-size, margins and used font first, or not make any assumtions on where on a page something will be positioned.

J.
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

col5064 wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:38 am If I could see what page size I used in my original manuscript and then change this proof-read copy accordingly.
If you retain your original manuscript, you can load page styles from it to the proofread copy and apply them as necessary:

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... de/Stylist
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
col5064

Post by col5064 »

Thanks very much. I will look into that.