[Dropped] Line numbering not working

Discuss the word processor
RoryOF

Re: Line numbering not working

Post by RoryOF »

I see no reason why my suggestion, and the worked example of DiGro, both earlier in this thread, should not work for the entire file.

I made a large file by repeating the supplied sample file until the resulting file was 2256 pages; I used /Format /Page to add a left margin of 2 cm (no need to increase page width). Then I applied line numbering and selected /Tools /Update : All, and after a short delay (some minutes) the line numbering appeared correctly for the entire file, showing as 156792 against the last entry on the final page.

Note that the line numbering was discontinuously repetitive (mod 1024? not certain) on scrolling through the file until the /Tools /Update : All was applied.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

The image shows how Word is displaying the the line and column numbers (Ln 40 Col 17) at the cursor position. Can OpenOffice do this?
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on WINDOWS 10
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The image shows how Word is displaying the the line and column numbers (Ln 40 Col 17) at the cursor position. Can OpenOffice do this?
There are not "columns" in a normal text document. Maybe there is character count.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

PaulNdr wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:30 am The image shows how Word is displaying the the line and column numbers (Ln 40 Col 17) at the cursor position. Can OpenOffice do this?
No.

With a macro and a shortcut to call it you can temporarily display that information in the status bar:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... p?p=501710
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

JeJe: Thanks
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

PaulNdr wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:14 am Removing all formatting to convert the document to plain text is not an option, I want to keep the existing formatting. What I would like is not so much to show the line numbers at the beginning of each line, rather to show the cursor position (line number, column number) at the bottom information bar next to the page count. (Like in Word).
What formatting do you want to keep? I don't see any formatting in the sample document that would be lost when saving as a plain text (.txt) file. The columns in the document were created by inserting spaces, not by formatting. If you want to see line and column numbers in the status bar, save the document in .txt format and open it with a text editor which does show line and column numbers.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

Bill: There are some lines that are in color. Plus I would lose page numbering in plain text. But I will think about the pros and cons, I have the EDXOR text editor. Also I'm thinking about Microsoft Office 2010 if I can get it at a reasonable price. I was using Word 2003 which was working ok up to about 300 pages of document size, beyond that it started to play up. Guess because it's a 32 bit application. For smaller files I still use Word.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Notepad++ does it easily. This is five copies of Vanity Fair, which is 150,000 lines with 1.5 million words or 8.7 million characters.
Attachments
Clipboard02.png
Clipboard02.png (32.65 KiB) Viewed 953 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

John_Ha: Thanks, that looks good.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

There's a free online version of Word that may handle lots of pages well?
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

OpenOffice/LibreOffice Writer are rather feature rich word processing applications, much like MS Word. Many of the features are implemented differently in AOO/LO vs MSO, or only available in one of the suites, so transitioning between them is perceived as "non intuitive".

Plaintext editors will eliminate applied formatting. This is the nature of "plain". They can have syntax dependent color marking of content, but this is created "live" in the app and not saved into the file.

If you are looking for a tool that works on multiple OS platforms and/or has a workable free version, and you don't need all the advanced features of the above word processing applications but really need that live display of page/line/character position, the word processing component of WPS Office or Softmaker Office may be what you need. Those may also be more similar to MS Word, and have support for MS storage formats. They have the basic wordprocessor formatting options, but significant shortcomings e.g. for authoring of large complex documents and support for open (non proprietary) storage formats. Also, IIRC, the free versions of both of those suites are rather vocal in their "nagging" you to buy the full version.
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Probably many word processors which show the line and character positon as well as offering rich format text:

https://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/lite.htm
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

JeJe: thanks, I'll check it out
PaulNdr

Post by PaulNdr »

keme: Thanks