AutoCorrect still blows me away

Discuss the word processor
RichardPrincipal

AutoCorrect still blows me away

Post by RichardPrincipal »

Once I saved my auto correction, but when I updated the newer version of openoffice the auto-corrections file was not replaced, I thought great, then the next version I was in a hurry, I did not save it and the update lost all my auto-corrections, so now I am against ever updating, unless someone says updated does not wipe out your own entries.

A few years ago I noticed the few strange words that some people always seem to spell wrong like in Apache they always type in adn instead of typing in "and", I think 'very strange they always type it in that way'

I can think of a lot more useful auto-corrections like all the days of the week and [days of the month] [months of the year], so if you type in september it always auto-correct to September but why is it some people would prefer To auto-correct from adc to and.

Just recently I have [be] [been] learning some of the short hand symbol of chemical elements , so I thought it would handy to put in more useful auto-corrects, so instead of typing in Magnesium why not have mg auto correct to "Magnesium" maybe even correct mg+ to "Magnesium (Mg)" by using lowercase spelling in the auto-correct, you can still type in Mg and it will not auto-correct to "Magnesium", This might help pre-teenagers learn the symbols to chemical element for later school work if they take on chemistry as a science subject.

I am sure you might think of more useful and interesting auto-corrects [and] [than] having adc change to and.

edit corrections between [ ]
[ oh I was thinking this but forgot to add it in

As F symbol is correct Fluorine (F) and the toxic version is Fluoride.

I had to use f for Fluorine, f+ for Fluorine (F)
f^ for Fluoride and f^+ for Fluoride (F')

]
Last edited by RichardPrincipal on Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Openoffice 4.1.13, Libreoffice 7.4.0.3 (x64) Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Auto corrector still blows me away

Post by Hagar Delest »

That's strange since the autocorrect file is in the user profile and it is not changed by an upgrade (except if you go from 3 to 4 branch.
My autocorrect file is more than 1 year old and I have upgraded several times in between.

Did other settings get reset at the same time? There may have been a broader issue with the whole profile.
Personally, I keep a backup of my profile just in case (beware of the content of the /backup folder in the user profile that can grow very big if you have activated the document backup copy feature).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

As the User Profile contains a lot of user data (configuration choices, backup files, macros, added dictionary words etc) it is kept during an upgrade or reinstall.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RichardPrincipal

OK "how to geek" helped me with.

Now I just go Tools -> Options -> openoffice or libreoffice -> paths.

[I will give both office a update later after I do a file copy and see how it goes]
RichardPrincipal

As you can see I have updated both *office programs and did not need to use any of the back up.

Maybe to make this topic more useful I should make a suggestion to the suggestion link
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Maybe the information you looked for was also in the tutorial: Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10