[Solved] Custom heading styles set, but aren't applied

Using them, Making them, Finding them
Stefanie

[Solved] Custom heading styles set, but aren't applied

Post by Stefanie »

Hi there,

I've searched the forum for this problem but couldn't find it, so here goes:

I've changed some of the the default settings for font sizes and names and saved them as a template. It works perfectly well for the text body. However, none of the different heading styles aren't applied. For example, heading 3 is set as size 14 pt bold, but still appears like text body (12 pt). When I go into the styles and formatting settings and check, it's all set correctly.

What am I doing wrong??! Help!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.13, Windows 11 Home
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Custom heading styles set, but aren't applied

Post by Bill »

Please upload a sample document (not a picture of a document) showing your settings. It's almost impossible to determine what's wrong without the actual settings.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The default "Heading 3" style is linked to the "Heading" style and is 14 pt. Have you added a "heading 3" style linked to the "Default" or "Text body" style? The "heading 3" style would probably be 12 pt. "Heading 3" and "heading 3" are two different styles.
Stefanie

Post by Stefanie »

Hi Bill,

Thanks ever so much for your help! I'm a bit nonplussed by your second reply. I just modified the Heading 1, 2 and 3 styles, saved them in a template and set the template as default. At least that's what I thought I'd done. I obviously got something wrong as I can't even answer your question re 'default' or 'text body'.

Here is a sample file.
Attachments
sample file heading.odt
(13.67 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
OpenOffice 4.1.13, Windows 11 Home
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Select all text and press Ctrl+M to remove all direct formatting (any formatting applied using keystrokes like Ctrl+I for italics, or using the Format - Paragraph or Format - Character dialog windows. That will reveal the true formatting in your style definitions. Remember that direct formatting always takes precedence over styles.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Stefanie wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:01 pmThanks ever so much for your help! I'm a bit nonplussed by your second reply.
Ignore my second reply. It was a guess which was wrong. I should have waited for the sample document.

There is no problem with the heading styles. The problem in the sample document is caused by the 12 point font being applied directly to all text including the headings. Settings applied by direct formatting override the style settings. Assuming that the 12 point font has also been directly applied in the template, you need to edit the template to remove the direct formatting.

By the way, your sample document is a template which has had the filename suffix changed from .ott to .odt. When opened by Writer, it isn't opened for editing. A new untitled document is created.