[Solved+Issue] Problems with Extension Manager in 4.1.12 on Mac

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
rje_nc

[Solved+Issue] Problems with Extension Manager in 4.1.12 on Mac

Post by rje_nc »

I just installed the new 4.1.12 over 4.1.11 on my Mac running MacOS 10.15.7. After about 20-30 seconds I get a popup in the Notification bar that I have updates for extensions available. When I click on it either nothing happens or the Extension Manager window opens but is blank and will not close. When this happens the entire program is prevented from closing unless I force quit.

I reopened OO without opening any Doc and I was able to open Extension Manager from the Tools menu. It says a language pack needs updating but when I check for updates is locks up and will not respond.

I do not think I have any extensions installed. Is there a way to manually check and remove them if there are some installed.

I might return to v4.1.11 if this continues. Not sure what else I will find and I don't want to loose any of my docs.

Bob
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Jun 28, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.11
MacOS Catalina, Windows 10
rje_nc

Re: Problems with Extension Manager in 4.1.12 on Mac

Post by rje_nc »

Removing the EN language extension from Extension Manager seems to have solved my problem. Spell check still works, so everything seems to be OK. I will check to see if the same problem occurs when I update my older Mac running High Sierra.

Bob
OpenOffice 4.1.11
rje_nc

Re: [Solved] Problems with Extension Manager in 4.1.12 on Mac

Post by rje_nc »

Same Problem occurred when I upgraded OO to 4.1.12 on my older MacBook running High Sierra. Without opening any document, a notification appeared shortly after launching OO that said I had extensions that needed to be updated. Clicking on the notification icon did not appear to do anything. Opening the Extension Manager window showed the EN language pack as the only extension installed. When I clicked the Check for Updates button in Extension Manager, OO locked up completely and would only close by Force Quitting the app.

Removing the language extension in Extension Manager seems to have cleared up the problem, but something is definitely wrong here with v4.1.12. Same behavior on 2 different Macs running 2 different versions of MacOS.

Bob
OpenOffice 4.1.11
czahller

Post by czahller »

Same problem here. Attempting to update via the extension manager by downloading the update from the web and then installing it also freezes OO. This isn't really resolved since there's no way to update or install this extension.

Edit: The topic is marked [Solved] because the rje_nc says they have a solution. It's their topic, not yours. 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator  
OpenOffice 4.1.10
MacOS Ventura 13.4.1
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

rje_nc wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:10 am when I check for updates is locks up and will not respond
There is an ongoing issue with the Check for Updates feature. To avoid trouble, on my system I have disabled option OpenOffice → Online Update → Check for updates automaically. Options are set with OpenOffice → Preferences on a Mac, Tools → Options on other platforms. The check for updates is exactly that, a check. OpenOffice never installs updates. Users must install updates manually. See below.
Issue 128535: MacOS: Application crashes 30 seconds after opening if "check for automatic updates" is turned on

There are several issues with the extension manager which may be contributing to the problem:
Error when checking for extension update
Extension Manager not working if extension contains wrong description.xml (here: extension-description)
Extension Manager fails to uninstall invalid extension
Extension Manager: Check for updates window opens and stays in background, behind Extension Manager
Extension Manager GUI has races
Attempt to update extensions ends up with "The host name localhost could not be resolved"
Installing broken/corrupted extension .oxt files fails without an error message

rje_nc wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:10 am I might return to v4.1.11 if this continues.
Q04: How do I uninstall OpenOffice on a Mac?
Q03: How do I install OpenOffice on a Mac?
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
PPJ

Re: [Solved+Issue] Problems with Extension Manager in 4.1.12 on Mac

Post by PPJ »

Still Mac BIG Sur 11.7.9 jams and does nothing, when trying open an extension. Screen goes allways back to extension-window, when trying to close it. It has happened with earlier Mac Sierra, and now with this. I´ll have to and close the whole thing and start. I could not find any other way to continue working but close and start again.
Same kind of troubles seems to appear for other users, I did not find straight answer for this, or didn´t understand, may be !?
Asking PPJ
Open Office 4.1.14, Operating System Mac Big Sur 11.7.9