[Solved] content.xml error debug not working

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
masca

[Solved] content.xml error debug not working

Post by masca »

Hi,

I have just received an odt file that suffers from the bug already reported in various places (f.i. https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... =7&t=72774).

However, following the procedure found here: viewtopic.php?f=71&t=87180 does not work.

Namely, I rename the odt file as a zip file, decompress it and fix the xml file to eliminate the spurious annotations in the style defintion, moving from

Code: Select all

<style:style office:name="__Annotation__138_1482234091111111" office:name="__Annotation__136_1482234091111111" style:name="P1" style:family="paragraph" style:parent-style-name="Standard">
to

<style:style style:name="P1" style:family="paragraph" style:parent-style-name="Standard">

However this does not result in a usable file when I open it back. What happens is that OpenOffice warns me the file is corrupted, then try to repair it but with no avail.

Do you know why that might be? Could it be that I am saving different versions?

Thanks! I have my novel in that file and unfortunately who sent me the revisions did not make a backup.
Last edited by RoryOF on Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.12-1
Arch Linux
FJCC

Re: content.xml error debug not working

Post by FJCC »

It is hard to say what the problem is without looking at the file. Can you post it here, if it is less than 128KB, or some other place like a cloud drive or file sharing site?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
masca

Post by masca »

Hi FJCC,

you are quite right! I should have specified that I assumed the issue be related to the well-known formatting problem because I had revision activated and a plethora of comments.

Anyway, here is the file: Link removed for confidentiality

I am unsure whether this is the right way to share it, but I am above the threshold you were mentioning.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link removed for confidentiality -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.12-1
Arch Linux
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There are two annotation strings at the address with 11111... numbers. Remove one of them.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
masca

Post by masca »

RoryOF, thanks for the reply. But I am not sure I understand. What do you mean? In the style part of the context xml file? Because I had removed both of them. Removing either of them does not work. I mean, what do you mean by address?

More explicitly:

if I try to open the file with OpenOffice, I get the error "Format Error discovered in the file sub-document content.xml at 2,3333(row,col)"
Incidentally, LibreOffice points to another position.

Is that the adress you mean?
OpenOffice 4.1.12-1
Arch Linux
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My memory is that the address of the error was line 2, 3884 (in or about that number). Open content.xml in an editor, remove one of the Annotation units with 1111... sequence- they are glaringly obvious, Save the altered content,xml and close the .odt archive All. should be well.

Try the attached file - it is the repaired file Saved under another name, and is much smaller than your original, but I cannot see anything missing.

File removed for confidentiality
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
masca

Post by masca »

It does work. I don't know how it is I don't see these strings, but it might be it's late and I got scared. Anyway thanks for the help! I will mark the issue as solved. I don't know if it is possible to ask, could the attachment be removed? I know it is a public forum, but it's stuff I am still working on and it's not quite ready to be divulged. Thanks!
OpenOffice 4.1.12-1
Arch Linux