[Issue] OpenOffice "Document in use" not showing on network share files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
jnc

[Issue] OpenOffice "Document in use" not showing on network share files

Post by jnc »

Hello all,

I'm not sure that is normal behavior, or something is wrong. We have a lot documents on network share (share is on Windows Server 2019, but problem also occurs on Linux SMB share), some of them are filled by many users, so they often try to edit this same document at the same time.
The problem is when someone open blocked file, there is no notyfication "Document in use", openoffice just open this document in read-only mode.

This is annoying problem, because users have to ask me to find who blocked file.

When i opening this file inlibreoffice everything is fine - there is a popup "Document in use", who blocked file etc.
When i open this same file twice on my local folder eg. Desktop then notyfication shows up in openoffice.

Problem occurs on Windows 8.1/10/11, i tried also to install older version of AOO 4.1.3

Any idea what could be wrong?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged as [Issue] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10 21H2
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice Notification "Document in use" not showing on network share files

Post by RoryOF »

I tried opening two instances of the same file across a network share using two computers; the first instance opened correctly, the second gave me an ASCII filter selection box. I closed, changed the order of opening - the first instance opened correctly, the second would not open, again ASCII selection window. An attempt to access the file from second computer using an archive utility, while it was open on the first, gave a .zip error
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice Notification "Document in use" not showing on network share files

Post by RoryOF »

A later test gave me the "file in use by another user" message; checking showed that the second computer had not woken up fully and its network connection had not stabilised n my first test.

Enable viewing of hidden files and verify that there is a lock file in the target folder on the network.
jnc

Post by jnc »

I have checked option "Show hidden files"

Meanwhile, i've installed AOO on ubuntu machine and there also is no notyfication about locked file.
But i've also made simple share on this machine, with anonymous access. And then everything is working.
Next, i've added samba user and i've granted acccess to this share only for this user, still working...

It seems that there is a problem with my shares, It's weird, because they works fine with libre office, and also AOO worked good for sometime. I've not made any larger changes in shares config for a long time. No idea what could be wrong.
jnc

Post by jnc »

After several tries I give up. I cant't find where is the problem.

I only realised that nothification shows up when i open AOO with Admin rights.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Do any of these help? viewtopic.php?t=107310 viewtopic.php?t=101531 viewtopic.php?t=95287

My only suggestion is to open a file on a local disk and watch the creation of the lock file. On the local disk it is created in the folder holding the file being opened.

Now repeat it exactly on the network file. Does the lock file get created? If so, where is it? Do a forum search on network and see if there is anything about the location of the lock file.

I did a test on my NAS by opening a file with AOO by double clicking it. I could not see the lock file despite Hidden Files being enabled.
 Edit: I didn't refresh the view - when I did the lock file was there 
I couldn't re-open it with AOO (it took me to the open file) so I tried to open the file with LO, which uses the same lock file method. LO gave the File is open message so the lock file is somewhere!

Searching with lock file network got lots of hits.
Last edited by John_Ha on Thu May 19, 2022 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

@John_Ha: for information: my network shares are mapped to a folder on my local machine; I have just checked, and immediately I open a file on the share, the lock file is created in the same folder.

You did, of course, enable viewing of hidden files, and refresh the view in the monitoring file manager?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

jnc wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:01 am when someone open blocked file, there is no notyfication "Document in use", openoffice just open this document in read-only mode.
On second thoughts that means the lock file is there - it is just that the message the file is in use is not displayed.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Issue 93728 - File already in-use Notification - Multi-user environments / network file access
The bug is fourteen years old and is very unlikely to be fixed.

As AOO is walking dead it may be time to migrate to LO ...

John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:42 am You did, of course, ... refresh the view in the monitoring file manager?
You got it! I am so used to Windows refreshing a local disk in real time I forgot that step :crazy:

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

John_Ha wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:53 am
RoryOF wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:42 am You did, of course, ... refresh the view in the monitoring file manager?
You got it! I am so used to Windows refreshing a local disk in real time I forgot that step :crazy:
And I haven't even had my second cup of coffee yet! My linux seems to do an autorefresh.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 10:57 amMy linux seems to do an autorefresh.
I think it must be a bug in Windows 10 as it doesn't refresh even after a minute.

RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Perhaps there is a longer refresh interval, to reduce network traffic?
jnc

Post by jnc »

To make everything clear:
-Yes, I've enebled option "Show hidden files..."
-File ".~lock...." is visible,
-I don't get any message, but in fact file is open in read-only mode, so AOO can see.
-If certain share has this problem, it occurs regardless if I run documents with AOO on ubuntu or on Windows, LO works fine with this same files
-I've got message on "affected" share after i run AOO with root/admin privileges
-No difference when i map this share

Yes, I'd like to go to LO, but company use Openoffce for almost 15 years, and some of users don't want to change soft:/
But now I have another reason to force that.

Thanks for help :)
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

How to access on network directories?
With a mapped drive or directly through netbios path?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In my case I use mapped drives.