[Solved] View - Edit - .FDB / .FDY files in OO Base?

Discuss the database features
jainagirl

[Solved] View - Edit - .FDB / .FDY files in OO Base?

Post by jainagirl »

Hello, everyone:

For years I've used a Windows desktop app called FitDay. It's a standalone app that tracks a user's diet and exercise. It maintains database(s) of foods and their caloric and nutritional values. There is FitDay on the Internet, but it doesn't have the functionality of the desktop version, which has been entirely abandoned by the developer. When I look into the directory where FitDay is installed, I see files with .FDB and .FDY extensions, among others. From researching, I've found that the .FDB is likely a Firebird database file. I'm assuming this a food database that ships with the product. What I need is a way to sort these files on an ongoing basis, if possible.

Then, I hope to copy the sorted files over the unsorted files in the app's directory and make the app easier to use. There is a large built-in database that comes with the app. That seems to be an .FDY file. This file also contains food and nutrition info in a database of "custom" foods entered by the user. For some reason, FitDay does not have the functionality to sort the custom database, which makes it hard to find a food. The built-in database has a query feature, so it's not hard to find what I want. Over time, I have added many, many foods to the custom database, which I'm pretty sure is an .FDY file that stores this info and also info about me about me as FitDay user. This is what FitDay calls my "account" file and seems to be where the custom entries are stored.

Is there any way in OO to view and edit these files? I see in OO there's a choice under File-New-Database that opens a database wizard. Is it possible to work with the wizard to open-view-edit these files? I've also seen info that says Firebird database connections are configured from the Database Administrator in Control Panel, but don't know if this is necessary or even how to do that. I wasn't allowed to upload the files here. Why is that? Help! :(
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: View - Edit - .FDB / .FDY files in OO Base?

Post by Villeroy »

Replace OpenOffice with LibreOffice. https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/li ... penoffice/

menu:File>New>Database...
[x] Connect to existing
Type: Firebird (external)
Point to your database
[X] Register database
Save the connected database document (*.odb)
Now you can add queries, forms and reports to the database document and you can use the database with Calc and with Writer.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
jainagirl

Post by jainagirl »

OK - so that will work with the .FDB, right? Any hope for the .FDY? Do I uninstall OO or can OO and LO live side-by-side?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I don't know much about Firebird. As far as I know, it is a database in a single file (fdb).
https://file.org/extension/fdy fdy seems to be specific to the "FitDay" application.

OO and LO live side-by-side. LO is the same program 8 years ahead.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
jainagirl

Post by jainagirl »

I installed LO 7.3.1.3

Left OO alone

Double-clicked the LO icon on the desktop to open it

Clicked File - New - Database

Wizard appears

Clicked Connect to Existing - Firebird External

Clicked Next

It asks for a Driver-specific connection string with choices to Create New or Browse

Not sure what to do here...can you clarify? TIA
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Click [Browse] and browse to the *.fdb file.