Disappearing files during update

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
r.setser@aol.com

Disappearing files during update

Post by r.setser@aol.com »

When I updated from 4.1.7 to 4.1.11 an entire folder of documents and illustrations disappeared. How can I recover them
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved topic from Beginners forum to Install, Setup, and Troubleshooting
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 10 Home 21H2
RusselB

Re: disappearing files during update

Post by RusselB »

Welcome to the Forums.
While I doubt that the update removed any of your documents, I can't say for sure as I don't have access (and don't want it) to your system.
As to recovering files, read and follow the information in this tutorial as soon as possible and attempt to use your system as little as possible before doing so.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Disappearing files during update

Post by John_Ha »

They are still there but you need to learn how to find files on your PC - Google for help.

Search for their names or file qualifiers or even for words you know are in your files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Re: Disappearing files during update

Post by Hagar Delest »

r.setser@aol.com wrote:When I updated from 4.1.7 to 4.1.11 an entire folder of documents and illustrations disappeared. How can I recover them
Please describe what makes you think that.
Where was the folder exactly?
An AOO update only impacts the application folders, user data are not changed at all.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10