[Solved] How do I disable this one auto format?

Discuss the word processor
Marscaleb

[Solved] How do I disable this one auto format?

Post by Marscaleb »

Edit: Duplicate of Marscaleb's [Solved] Disable auto numbering topic  

Whenever I type a line beginning with "I..." or "...I" as soon as I hit enter there is this auto format thing that tries to fill a bunch of bullet-point like things with some roman numerals.
This is very annoying because I'm writing dialogue and internal thoughts, not some boring list for a presentation.
How can I disable this?
Moreover, how can I disable just this one change and not other auto formats and changes that I may actually use?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]; Duplicate topic locked -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
FJCC

Re: How do I disable this one auto format?

Post by FJCC »

This does not sound familiar and I can't reproduce it. Can you upload a small document that shows the problem? To upload a file, click PostReply and look for the Upload Attachment tab just below the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Marscaleb

Post by Marscaleb »

Open a blank document. Type a capital letter i and press the period key three times and then press enter.
Under default settings it adds a numbered list and the next line will be preceded by a roman numeral 2.
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

I still can't get that to happen. If I type an uppercase i followed by one . and then a space, that will trigger the numbered list formatting.
You can turn off the automatic list formatting by going to the menu Tools -> AutoCorrect Options, selecting the Options tab and removing the selection from Apply Numbering - Symbol
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

FJCC wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:45 am This does not sound familiar and I can't reproduce it.
Tt may not work for some and I can reproduce that lack of recognition because the 3 periods are first replaced by the ellipsis by AutoCorrect replace list, thus there is no period that can be recognized to trigger the autonumbering recognition.

Not sure there is a way to prevent the AutoNumbering from being triggered for a single pattern only. Except if you do the ellipsis replacement first perhaps, just for this specific case.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10