OpenOffice Dbase Help, Stopped Pg 13, tutorial

Discuss the database features
coppens1

OpenOffice Dbase Help, Stopped Pg 13, tutorial

Post by coppens1 »

Dear Open Office Dbase Help, I have been using GS6008-2018 GettingStartedWithBase.pdf as a tutorial to learn how to use the Open Office Dbase program. The document is named "Libre Office Getting Started Guide, Chapter 8, Getting Started with Base, Relational Databases in LibreOffice.

I performed all steps as instructed, up to Pg 13, but I have hit a snag at Pg 13, Figure 7, where it shows the fields in the Vacations Table. I must have skipped "MPayment" when entering the data because Line 4 has "tolls" and "MPayment, Text [VARCHAR], payment type for motel " is way down near the bottom at line 14.

I accessed the table by opening Automobile.odb, clicking on the Tables icon, and clicking the Vacations table, then clicking edit in the top toolbar, then clicking edit in the dropdown list. I see the same table as shown at Figure 7, but I can find no way to move and insert "MPayment, Text [VARCHAR], payment type for motel " just below line 3, where it belongs.

Please tell me how I can correct this error. Thanks, JC
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Re: OpenOffice Dbase Help, Stopped Pg 13, tutorial

Post by UnklDonald418 »

You can only add new fields to the list of an existing database table, inserting between two existing fields is not practical. While it might seem a little foreign to a beginner, you will eventually learn the the order of the fields in the table is immaterial, it's only a storage location.. Normally you won't use the table GUI, it's nothing more than a tool that can be used for troubleshooting. Once you get a little further in the tutorial you will create a Form. There you can put the fields in any order you please.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

@coppens1,
the order of the table columns is not important & does not impact performance.
provided that all required columns exist & are correctly defined then there is no need to worry.
HOWEVER
HSQLDB does permit a new column to be inserted at a specific position.

from the main window hit 'Tables' icon.
make a backup of your table by dragging it a little & dropping it over white space. hit 'Create'.
from the menu select 'Tools>SQL...'
paste this code & execute.

Code: Select all

alter table "Vacations" add "MPayment2" varchar(100) before "Tolls"; --new column at specific position
update "Vacations" set "MPayment2" = "MPayment"; --copy existing values to new column
alter table "Vacations" drop "MPayment"; --delete the old column
alter table "Vacations" alter "MPayment2" rename to "MPayment"; --rename the new column
close the window
hit 'menu:View>Refresh Tables'.
open table "Vacations".
open office 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 6.4.4.2 x64 using HSQL 1.8.0.10 (Embedded) and HSQL 2.6.0 (Split) on Windows 10
coppens1

Post by coppens1 »

To UnklDonald418 and Chrisb: Thank you both for your prompt help. Although I am proficient in Write and Calc, I decided to learn Base and Draw. I need the credit for my Continuing Professional Education so it helps.

I will try your suggestions JC
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP