[Solved] Numbering Formulae using a Mac

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
Keith Wild

[Solved] Numbering Formulae using a Mac

Post by Keith Wild »

I've just started looking at using the Formula application and have read MathGuide 3.3. On page 15 it states that in order to number a formula you should start a new line, type fn, then press F3 (I assume this is in the Equation Editor at the bottom of the screen). However, on my Mac pressing F3 just opens the standard Mac response, namely Open Mission Control.

Does anyone know what to do (buttton to press?) to number a formula when using a Mac?
Last edited by Keith Wild on Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AOO 4.1.10
macOS Big Sur version 11.6.2
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Numbering Formulae using a Mac

Post by Zizi64 »

On page 15 it states that in order to number a formula you should start a new line, type fn, then press F3 (I assume this is in the Equation Editor at the bottom of the screen)
It is for other applications, where you want to embed a new numbered formula. (For example you can use it in the Writer application.)

The hotkeys sholud be different in the different operating systems, and at different locale settings.
Try the
Shift-F3
Ctrl-F3
Alt-F3
Shift-Ctrl-F3
Command-F3
etc...
or you can check the key associations in the Customize menu.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
MrProgrammer

Re: Numbering Formulae using a Mac

Post by MrProgrammer »

Keith Wild wrote:However, on my Mac pressing F3 just opens the standard Mac response, namely Open Mission Control.
[Tutorial] Mac FAQ Q10: How do I use function keys (F1, F2, …, F12) on a Mac?
Your question is about how to use your Mac, so I moved the topic to the Mac OSX forum.
Keith Wild wrote:On page 15 it states that in order to number a formula you should start a new line, type fn, then press F3 (I assume this is in the Equation Editor at the bottom of the screen).
No, you press F3 when using Writer, not in the Math component. fn is the name of a AutoText, and you insert it in the Writer document with F3. Once you've used the AutoText, you can double-click the equation in Writer to edit it with the Math component. There is no feature to number equations inside Math. In the guide, Insert → Cross Reference is also a Writer feature.
[Solved] Numbering formulas
[Solved] Formula numbering doesn't fit on one line

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Keith Wild

Re: [Solved] Numbering Formulae using a Mac

Post by Keith Wild »

Cheers, thanks very much.
AOO 4.1.10
macOS Big Sur version 11.6.2