[Solved] No file association in Finder when saving AOO files

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
sbair

[Solved] No file association in Finder when saving AOO files

Post by sbair »

My challenge with OO is that when I want to save a file, OO or the OS seems to have lost the file association type. I save as Word 97, 2000, XP and Excel 97, 2000, xp. In recent versions, I don't see the file type icon on the documents. When I attempt to open a Word Doc, it opens in Text Edit. I've attached a file that is just a quick little file that I created to try to save as stated above. You can see it shows no association on it's icon.

I am using OO 4.1.11 running on a Powerbook running Monterey 12.0.1. I've spent time Googling and trying to search the knowledge base but did not find a the solution. I hope you can help. I should add that I did try the file association tutorial and it did not make any change.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved].
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.11 macOS Monterey 12.0.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Saving in Newer Versions of OO No File Association

Post by Zizi64 »

I save as Word 97, 2000, XP and Excel 97, 2000, xp.
Never do it! Use the native, international standard ODF file formats to store yout important documents.

You can set/fix the file associations in your operating system. The installer of the AOO/LibreOffice contains such association option, but it need to reinstall the software. It is easier to assign the file types manually.
What operating system are you using?

I've attached a file that is just a quick little file that I created to try to save as stated above.
There is not any attachment at your post.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Zizi64 wrote: What operating system are you using?
sbair wrote: running on a Powerbook running Monterey 12.0.1. .
so he is using MacOS
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

sbair wrote:I did try the file association tutorial and it did not make any change.
Is this post deprecated? Setting the default program under Mac OS

No file attached in your first post.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Mac FAQ Q33: How do I get my documents to open with OpenOffice when I use Finder?
Mac FAQ Q52: How do I display file extensions so I see MyDoc.odt instead of MyDoc?

Always always always use the Automatic file name extension option in the File → Save [As] dialog.

Your forum signature says you run OpenOffice 4.0.0 on MacOS 10.8.4. Fix that please in the forum's Control Panel. No further assistance from me until you've done that.

Thanks for testing OpenOffice on MacOS 12.0.1 for us.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
lgusaas
Volunteer

Post by lgusaas »

Hagar Delest wrote:
sbair wrote:I did try the file association tutorial and it did not make any change.
Is this post deprecated? Setting the default program under Mac OS

No file attached in your first post.
That post is still accurate.
Larry I. Gusaas
Moose Jaw, SK Canada
"An artist is never ahead of his time but most people are far behind theirs." Edgard Varese
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 — MacBook Air (M1)—macOS Ver.13.5 Ventura
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

lgusaas wrote:That post is still accurate.
I bet it is!
The message behind was: please tell what doesn't work with what is described there.
sbair

Post by sbair »

I have been asked to update the versions of OO and OS I use in the Control Panel. I've gone into the control panel and can't find where to change that. I will be happy to receive help and will do this.

I did try to change my password and was not able. I entered a new password and confirmed it and then chose Save. The screen simply cleared the fields with no message that the attempt was successful.

Not sure why the attachment was not received. I uploaded it. Should I see it somehow to know it uploaded correctly?? I'm willing to try again.

One person has replied that I should never save as Windows 97 2000 XP. In the past I have always done that and it works. I did that because if I have to share a file with someone who has MS products and does not use OO, they can open it without knowing it's OO and with no challenge.

Thanks to those who are trying to assist. I know I have a friend who is also having this challenge although I have no clue the version of OO being used or device and OS.
sbair

Post by sbair »

I don't think I ever install OO. I simply drag the decompressed file to the Apps folder. Am I missing something??
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Not sure why the attachment was not received. I uploaded it. Should I see it somehow to know it uploaded correctly??
Maybe it is larger than 128 KiB. This value is the upper limit in this forum. You can share the larger files on a free file sharing service, like the Google drive or others. Just put the link into your post.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
sbair

Post by sbair »

The file is 10 KB. Error says is not allowed.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The file is 10 KB. Error says is not allowed.
What file type you want to upload here?
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

sbair wrote:I have been asked to update the versions of OO and OS I use in the Control Panel.
Please see How to update your signature for more information.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
sbair

Post by sbair »

Attempted to update Signature. When I get info on the file type, it says document.
sbair

Post by sbair »

I took a screen shot of the file I have been trying to upload. I don't know if it will be helpful but at least you can see what I see. I know you won't be able to try to open it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 6.52.10 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 6.52.10 AM.png (57.02 KiB) Viewed 7610 times
sbair

Post by sbair »

Tried again to upload the file and the message includes The extension 09 Test is not allowed. I see no extension.
DiGro

Post by DiGro »

The extension 09 Test is not allowed. I see no extension.
macOS thinks the extension is : .09 Test
Most computer programs consider the last period to be the period that indicates the extension!

You should NEVER use periods (dots) in a filename. That is probably how this problem occurred.

Try to rename your file to: 20211109 Test.odt (.odt is the proper extension for OO)
Don't know macOS, but probably you can right-click on the filename and change it accordingly

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

sbair, have you made sure this is the case?
MrProgrammer wrote:Always always always use the Automatic Filename Extension option in the File → Save [As] dialog.
It should be the default because there is absolutely no point no using the proper extension.
DiGro wrote:You should NEVER use periods (dots) in a filename. That is probably how this problem occurred.
Well, I would rather say that you should ALWAYS make your OS display the extension of your files. In Windows for example, there is an option (activated by default IIRC) that hides the extension, it is a security risk to keep it that way. Because a .exe with malicious code can be hidden as a "filename.doc.exe": you can think it is a .doc (the .exe not being displayed in your Windows Explorer) and launch it but launch a malware instead! Don't know if there is such option in macOS.
The period is a legitimate character in filename, I don't see any problem with that.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

sbair wrote:Attempted to update Signature.
Thank you for updating your forum signature. You risk receiving inappropriate advice when that information is wrong.
sbair wrote:You can see it shows no association on it's icon.
Your MacOS settings determine how icons appear on your machine. My MacOS settings determine how icons appear on my machine. Attaching the file would not help me see how the icon appears on your machine. The screen capture from your machine did. That was the right information to provide. This situation is one of the very few times when attaching an image is helpful on the forum. In most cases images are next to worthless.
sbair wrote:The file is 10 KB. Error says is not allowed.
Your problem with the file association type and icon appears to be caused by improper file naming and so while a file attachment is not important now, keep in mind for the future that you can attach any file type by putting it in a ZIP container and attaching that, as explained in Mac FAQ Q51/A51.
sbair wrote:I simply drag the decompressed file to the Apps folder. Am I missing something?
No. This is the procedure for installing OpenOffice from Mac FAQ Q03/A03, except that the folder is /Applications, not Apps.
sbair wrote:I took a screen shot of the file I have been trying to upload.
The image and the behavior you've described suggest to me that you had not enabled the Automatic file name extension option when you saved the file so MacOS thinks the extension is .09 Test. When you try to open the file from Finder, MacOS does not know what to do with a .09 Test file because it has no way to associate the weird extension with OpenOffice. When you enable the Automatic file name extension option, the file will be called 2021.11.09 Test.odt or 2021.11.09 Test.doc. If you open an .odt file in Finder, MacOS will launch OpenOffice. If you open a .doc file in Finder, MacOS knows what to do. My MacOS opens .doc files with Apple's Pages application. I don't know if your system will currently open the file with OpenOffice, Pages, TextEdit, or something else, but you can control that with the procedure in Mac FAQ Q33/A33.

You correct the problem by not opening the files with Finder. If you have several files which were saved without the Automatic file name extension option, for each one use OpenOffice File → Open and then File → Save As to create a new copy with the option enabled. You can choose the file format in the File type option of that dialog. Saving in anything other than ODF Text Document format risks loss of data or features. All of your text document file names should end in either .odt or .doc.
[Tutorial] Differences between Microsoft and AOO/LO files
sbair wrote:When I get info on the file type, it says document.
This is further confirmation that your difficulty is caused by failing to enable Automatic file name extension.
sbair wrote:Saving in Newer Versions of OO No File Association
I would say OpenOffice has worked this way for at least a dozen years (since version 3.1 certainly) which is why one should always use the Automatic file name extension option. I don't believe the behavior you've noticed is new.
DiGro wrote:Try to rename your file to: 20211109 Test.odt (.odt is the proper extension for OO). Don't know macOS, but probably you can right-click on the filename and change it accordingly.
No, no, no!! It is easy for an inexperienced user to make a mistake renaming files, then suffer from strange problems. It is safer to use the OpenOffice File → Open and File → Save As dialogs. They are the only way to convert a file from .doc format to .odt format. One cannot convert the file's type with a rename! There are other reports on the forum of mysterious difficulties caused by improper renaming of files. This is just asking for trouble, unless the user is very experienced with MacOS. Since sbair has opened this topic, we know that is not the case here.
DiGro wrote:You should NEVER use periods (dots) in a filename. That is probably how this problem occurred.
Periods are fine in MacOS file names. The problem was that the Automatic file name extension option was not enabled. The same problem would have occurred even if the chosen name were Foo (no periods).
Hagar Delest wrote:Well, I would rather say that you should ALWAYS make your OS display the extension of your files.
Agreed. For MacOS, the procedure is in Mac FAQ Q52/A52.

Summary:
Always enable the Automatic file name extension option when saving files.
Instruct MacOS to show you the file extensions in Finder (Q52/A52).
Never change file extensions in Finder by renaming.

[Tutorial] Mac FAQ

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
sbair

Post by sbair »

I had to travel so I was hurrying and wrote apps instead of applications. I have always dragged the decompressed file into the applications folder. I have no clue how to find Mac FAQ Q52/A52. I apologize for being a challenge but I think this is the first I posted to forum. I have not ever had a major challenge with oo except for this. I need to get it resolved soon because I have to send out minutes to a group where I am the secretary. I am the only one who does not have MS Office.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

sbair wrote:I have no clue how to find Mac FAQ Q52/A52
Click on the link labeled with that text in MrProgrammer's answer to you; or go to Tutorial: Mac FAQ which he also kindly linked for you. Then scroll down or use your browser's Search feature to find Q52.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
sbair

Post by sbair »

I believe I have figured out the solution to my challenge. My sincere thanks for the help especially to those who were patient and kind.