[Solved] Darken Text In a Text Box

Discuss the word processor
rayroshi

[Solved] Darken Text In a Text Box

Post by rayroshi »

I have copied a page from a website on the internet which contains text boxes of math formulas that are being displayed in a very light, hard-to-read gray color. The text surrounding these text boxes is fine, being nice and dark and easy to read. Is it possible to darken these text boxes in order to make them more readable?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice.org 4.1.2 Windows 10
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Re: How to Darken Text In a Text Box

Post by erbsenzahl »

rayroshi wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:41 pmcontains text boxes of math formulas that are being displayed in a very light, hard-to-read gray color
Hi,
is this real text or a "math object" or is it a raster graphics? Can only be answered with a sample file or your internet source URL... - cheers
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
rayroshi

Post by rayroshi »

Hi erbzenzahl, thanks for your reply.

I just tried to copy and paste an example, but it wouldn't paste, so I will give you the URL from the webpage:

https://probabilityandstats.wordpress.c ... l-testing/

I hope that helps.
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Post by erbsenzahl »

The diagrams and the math formulae in the mentioned website seem to be raster graphics in webp, jpg and png format.
What you can do is:
  • right hand click on graphic (diagram; formula) and open graphic in new tab (or window)
  • download bitmap
  • edit bitmap on an app dedicated for image processing like GIMP, XnView, IrfanView, ... (less or more gamma, more contrast)
  • insert bitmap in your text processing app (Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice)
More advice
When copying/pasting contents from the internet so do that only piece after piece. Don't (select and) mix text and graphics. When inserting text into Writer so (paste special) as unformatted. To repair formatted text from the internet could be very cumbersome.
Collect the images in one folder and edit on an image processing app. Then insert the image(s) into Writer via menu Insert | Image | Linked; if necessary embed the images...

HTH

Edit:   
Have you checked this very useful tutorial? [Tutorial] Some useful hints on using images
See here: 13. Copying and pasting text and images from the internet - the images don't appear or things go funny

Additum

An easy and quick and dirty solution is to use the context sensitive toolbar image. Gamma and contrast are altered. See screenshot.
In your special case I could recommend copying a selection of text and images for some paragraphs of the above mentioned website.

Formula.png
Formula.png (40.44 KiB) Viewed 789 times

LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
rayroshi

Post by rayroshi »

Thank you for your help. You gave a lot of really useful information, and I will give it all a try. I really appreciate your time and effort in helping me!