[Solved] Data Refresh range is grayed out

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jankom

[Solved] Data Refresh range is grayed out

Post by jankom »

I'm sourcing cell contents from database tables. Heve defined range, dragged View - Data source content to calc cell.
However, after subsequent opening the calc file the cell content is not updated and Data - Refresh range is grayed out.
There is a similar, unsolved post in Stack Exchange, and I could not find any solution in the web.

jankom
Last edited by jankom on Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janos - Gentoo linux profile 5 (Desktop), OpenOffice 4.1.13
MrProgrammer

Re: Data Refresh range is grayed out

Post by MrProgrammer »

jankom wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:54 pm Heve defined range, dragged View - Data source content to calc cell. However, after subsequent opening the calc file the cell content is not updated and Data - Refresh range is grayed out.
After dragging the data source to the Calc sheet, Data → Define Range should show that defined range, probably called Import1. You must position the active cell within that range before you can use Data → Refresh Range.

Can you reproduce the problem by linking the Calc sheet to the pre-defined Bibliography → biblio table? If so, please explain in detail how I can reproduce this. When I drag biblio to A1, Data → Refresh Range is available as long as the active cell is in A1:AE62. But in cell A64, Data → Refresh Range is not available (grey). A sheet can contain multiple ranges linked to database tables or queries, and Calc needs to know which one range you want to refresh. If the active cell is not in any of the linked ranges, there is nothing to refresh.

jankom wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:54 pm There is a similar, unsolved post in Stack Exchange …
This information is of no value unless you provide a link to the Stack Exchange post.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Cazer

Post by Cazer »

As MrProgrammer pointed out, you should try ensuring that your active cell is within the range that's linked to your database table.

Just in case you're still having trouble, here's a simple step-by-step process to follow:

1. Click on a cell within your defined range.
2. Navigate to "Data" on the top menu.
3. Check if "Refresh Range" is available.

If the problem persists, it might be a good idea to try reproducing the issue with a pre-defined table like "bibliography → biblio" as suggested.
OpenOffice 4.1.14
OS
jankom

Post by jankom »

Thank you both for your interest in helping me, and yes, my inclusion of unsolved post was uselss.
(1) I tested it with biblio table and it worked as it should.
(2) Strangely, it looks like the problem is solved.
- deleted all Define renges
- selected an empty cell
- View - Data source - selected table
- grabbed the selected table ooutput by the upper left square (i.e. entire table with headings and data)
- dragged it into the selected empty cell
- this imported the entire table with headings and data
Bingo: Data refresh range is active
- saved the file, reloaded it, put my pointer into one of the imported cell - and Data refresh range is still available.

What is strange is that what I did before is not much different, but apparently incorrect:
a. I defined the range
b. selected table from Data view
c. dragged data element into cell in the range
d. upon reloading the file it wanted to update links, etc, even activate pw dialogue for my database, yet did not update cell and the Data refresh range remained grayed out.

It looks like there is only one way to skin a cat.
Thanks again for your help. Hopefully this post will help others,

jankom
detroitlibertyp

Post by detroitlibertyp »

Please mark your post as SOLVED so that it can be used to help others.
Windows 10 X-OpenOffice 4.1.13_rev5
jankom

Re: [SOLVED] Data Refresh range is grayed out

Post by jankom »

Done - jankom