[Solved] Insert a row without it copying from the row above?

Discuss the spreadsheet application
pmanthony

[Solved] Insert a row without it copying from the row above?

Post by pmanthony »

Hi All, I am hoping someone can help. I have a spreadsheet with 12 sheets (Jan, Feb etc).
It contains all the volunteers and their availability for a given month. When a new volunteer starts I select the sheets for the remaining months and insert a line in the row where they would come alphabetically. It copies the line above it which causes some problems as say Joe A was on holiday for the 12th of the following month and I insert Joe B beneath him he automatically is also on holiday on the 12th according to the following month. Is it possible to get it just to insert a blank line without the data from the line above?
Last edited by robleyd on Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Add green tick
OpenOffice 4.1.11
MrProgrammer

Re: Insert a row without it copying from the row above?

Post by MrProgrammer »

pmanthony wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:28 pm Is it possible to get it just to insert a blank line without the data from the line above?
If I want an empty row between rows 5 and 6, I select row 6 by clicking the 6 at the left, then use Insert → Rows. This does not copy any values or formulas from row 5. This is how Insert → Rows is intended to work: the new row is empty.

If your system does copy values or formulas from row 5 when you use Insert → Rows, perhaps you have installed some extension or other macro (maybe [Calc, Python] Expand/shrink list ranges) which changes the normal operation of OpenOffice. We cannot know what modifications to OpenOffice you may have applied. If you do not remember what modifications to OpenOffice you have performed and want to restore normal operation of OpenOffice Resetting the user profile often helps with strange problems.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
pmanthony

Post by pmanthony »

Sorry bad description, it copies the format data so if some cells have a background colour the inserted line also has the background.
OpenOffice 4.1.11
Alex1
Volunteer

Post by Alex1 »

Select the inserted line and press Ctrl+M to remove formatting.
AOO 4.1.15 & LO 24.2.2 on Windows 10
pmanthony

Post by pmanthony »

Brilliant many thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.11
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Insert a row without it copying from the row above?

Post by Villeroy »

The program should not do that, and there is no way to turn it off. Another work-around: Keep the first row below the header row formatted but blank. Hide that dummy row if you like.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice