[Solved] Locations of fonts used by LibreOffice

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
Opnmynd

[Solved] Locations of fonts used by LibreOffice

Post by Opnmynd »

We are using fonts in LibreOffice Writer that do not appear in the C:/Windows/Fonts folder. How can this be? Are they stored in a different folder? We want to migrate to another PC and it will take forever to go through the folders on both PCs.
I have spent a couple of hours trying to find the answer to this and all i get is how to install fonts. Duh!
Thank you
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri May 26, 2023 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Vista
Hagar Delest

Re: Locations of fonts used by Writer

Post by Hagar Delest »

Look in the LO installation folders, there is likely to be a "Fonts" one. I think it is always created, at least for the OpenSymbol font.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the 🖉 button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Opnmynd

Re: Locations of fonts used by LibreOffice

Post by Opnmynd »

Thank you for your reply Hagar.
I found that folder but there is only the OpenSymbol font in it. So how can LO use fonts that aren't in there or the Windows Font folder?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

do not appear in the C:/Windows/Fonts folder. How can this be?

PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Opnmynd wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 1:39 pm We are using fonts in LibreOffice Writer that do not appear in the C:/Windows/Fonts folder. How can this be? Are they stored in a different folder? We want to migrate to another PC and it will take forever to go through the folders on both PCs.
I have spent a couple of hours trying to find the answer to this and all i get is how to install fonts. Duh!
Thank you
Are the fonts in C:\Windows\Fonts on the old computer? They may have been installed by MS Office or some other software. In that case you may have to install MS Office or the other software to install the fonts on the new computer.

Which fonts? Without font names, we don't know if they are LibreOffice fonts.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Opnmynd

Post by Opnmynd »

The original issue came about as my wife is migrating from a Windows 10 machine to a Windows 11 PC. In the end I’m not entirely sure what happened but she seems to have solved her problem somehow. However…

… On my own computer I am using Windows 11 Home 22H2, build 22621.1702. I have just updated to LibreOffice 7.5.3.2.

I haven’t been through the entire font list in LO but one font family listed in the Writer dropdown I did notice is Cascadia. I am able to use the variations of this family in Writer despite the fact that Cascadia does not show in either the Windows font folder or LOs own font folder which, as you said, only has the OpenSymbol font in.

This isn’t a particularly vital issue, but it does have me intrigued.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Cascadia
In my opinion that font is not a part of the LO installer.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Mountaineer

Re: [Solved] Locations of fonts used by LibreOffice

Post by Mountaineer »

LibreOffice will use a hopefully similiar replacement font, if it can not find a font used by a document. If I'm remembering right the "not available" fonts are shown in italics in the font-list. So you can read and edit a document, but layout may not be perfect...
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Locations of fonts used by LibreOffice

Post by Zizi64 »

Only the names of the fonts will be storeged into the ODF documents by default.
There is an excellent extension to test the missing fonts. TestFonts (to test if the fonts that present is a document by name, is exist on the PC or not) :

https://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/testfonts
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.