[Solved] Right-justified hanging indent for Hebrew

Discuss the word processor
GMH

[Solved] Right-justified hanging indent for Hebrew

Post by GMH »

I'm reproducing a block quote of several verses of Hebrew scripture, and Hebrew is written right to left, so the block quote is going to be right-justified. However, I need the verse number in Arabic numerals at the beginning of each verse, so the first line of each verse will start with a double-digit verse number followed by a space followed by the Hebrew text, and the rest of the verse will line up indented with the Hebrew text of the first line. Something like this:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So how would I set up a right-justified hanging indent to accommodate the numerals and spaces? Thank you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed May 24, 2023 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
GMH
OpenOffice 4.1.1. on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: Right-Justified Hanging Indent?

Post by Hagar Delest »

I tried on LibreOffice and it works the same way whatever the text direction. Make sure you set the text direction Right to Left in the paragraph properties with a right alignment (better to do that from the paragraph style).
Have not tried to add a non-manual numbering (i.e. with a list style).

If you need further help, please provide a sample file (see How to attach a document here).

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the πŸ–‰ button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
GMH

Post by GMH »

Thanks for helping out with this. In my paragraph properties, I'm able to select right hand justification for the text, but I couldn't find anything relating to "text direction."
GMH
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

GMH wrote: ↑Tue May 02, 2023 2:59 pm I couldn't find anything relating to "text direction."
  • Select all relevant paragraphs
  • In Format β†’ Styles and Formatting β†’ Paragraph Styles (top left icon) double click Text Body
  • Right-click Text Body β†’ Modify
    β†’ Alignment β†’ Properties β†’ Text direction β†’ Right-to-left β†’ OK
  • In Format β†’ Styles and Formatting β†’ List Styles (fifth icon) double click Numbering 1
  • Right-click Numbering 1 β†’ Modify
    β†’ Position β†’ Followed by β†’ Tab stop β†’ At β†’ 1 β†’ Alignment β†’ Right β†’ Aligned at β†’ 0 β†’ Indent at β†’ 1
    β†’ Options β†’ After β†’ β€Ήnothingβ€Ί β†’ OK
202305020908.odt
(27.72 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

Writer for students, Chapter 19: Numbered lists

If you need any additional assistance attach a document demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). I will not help further unless you attach.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit ☐ button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.Β Β  The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
GMH

Post by GMH »

When I get to "alignment," I have the option of having the text right-justified, but nothing comes up about "text direction."
I'm attaching a screen shot of the online PDF I was copying from, showing the verse numbers hanging out to the right of the text. Also attached is the file I got when I pasted, showing the verse numbers following the verses instead of preceding them.
Hebrew Screen Shot.png
Hebrew Screen Shot.png (81.74 KiB) Viewed 1977 times
Hebrew Cut Paste.odt
(14.21 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
GMH
Hagar Delest

Re: Right-justified hanging indent for Hebrew

Post by Hagar Delest »

Don't you have that dialog?
Paragraph.png
Paragraph.png (15.71 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
See:
Hebrew Cut Paste - Hagar.odt
(27.43 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
GMH

Post by GMH »

"Don't you have that dialog?" Nope. The "properties" business doesn't come up at all.
The file you worked with allowed me to work with each verse one at a time and get them into block form with the verse number hanging out to the right. There are three more verses from a different book of the Bible that I'm working with as well that have the verse number behind the first line of the verse (to the left) instead of in front of the first line of the verse (to the right). I'd be most grateful if you could do to these three verses what you did to the others. File attached and thanks again.
Samuel.odt
(11.02 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
GMH
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I use LibreOffice, maybe the LTR/RTL setting is somewhere else in the paragraph properties in AOO.

See: [Solved] Writing right-to-left.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In OpenOffice, the Help file says, for right-to-left text
Languages Using Complex Text Layout
Currently, OpenOffice supports Hindi, Thai, Hebrew, and Arabic as CTL languages.
If you select the text flow from right to left, embedded Western text still runs from left to right. The cursor responds to the arrow keys in that Right Arrow moves it "to the text end" and Left Arrow "to the text start".
You can change the text writing direction directly be pressing one of the following keys:
Ctrl+Shift+D or Ctrl+Right Shift Key - switch to right-to-left text entry
Ctrl+Shift+A or Ctrl+Left Shift Key - switch to left-to-right text entry
The modifier-only key combinations only work when CTL support is enabled.
In multicolumn pages, sections or frames that are formatted with text flow from right to left, the first column is the right column and the last column is the left column.
In OpenOffice Writer text formatted in Thai language has the following features:
In paragraphs with justified alignment, the characters are stretched to flush the lines at the margins. In other languages the spaces between words are stretched.
Use the Delete key to delete a whole composite character. Use the Backspace key to delete the last part of the previous composite character.
Use the Right or Left Arrow key to jump to the next or previous whole composite character. To position the cursor into a composite character, use Alt+Arrow key.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
GMH

Post by GMH »

I just noticed that when I tried to copy and paste the file that I organized so that all the verse numbers were hanging out to the right, it reverted back to its original form. I was testing the cut and paste for ease of working with the text in a paper I'm putting together. I guess I can just copy and paste the file to where I want it in the paper and then manipulate it as required in situ.
GMH
GMH

Post by GMH »

Hagar Delest wrote: ↑Wed May 03, 2023 10:19 am I use LibreOffice, maybe the LTR/RTL setting is somewhere else in the paragraph properties in AOO.

See: [Solved] Writing right-to-left.
Thanks, I'll look that over.
GMH
GMH

Post by GMH »

RoryOF wrote: ↑Wed May 03, 2023 10:23 am In OpenOffice, the Help file says, for right-to-left text
Languages Using Complex Text Layout
Currently, OpenOffice supports Hindi, Thai, Hebrew, and Arabic as CTL languages.
If you select the text flow from right to left, embedded Western text still runs from left to right. The cursor responds to the arrow keys in that Right Arrow moves it "to the text end" and Left Arrow "to the text start".
You can change the text writing direction directly be pressing one of the following keys:
Ctrl+Shift+D or Ctrl+Right Shift Key - switch to right-to-left text entry
Ctrl+Shift+A or Ctrl+Left Shift Key - switch to left-to-right text entry
The modifier-only key combinations only work when CTL support is enabled.
In multicolumn pages, sections or frames that are formatted with text flow from right to left, the first column is the right column and the last column is the left column.
In OpenOffice Writer text formatted in Thai language has the following features:
In paragraphs with justified alignment, the characters are stretched to flush the lines at the margins. In other languages the spaces between words are stretched.
Use the Delete key to delete a whole composite character. Use the Backspace key to delete the last part of the previous composite character.
Use the Right or Left Arrow key to jump to the next or previous whole composite character. To position the cursor into a composite character, use Alt+Arrow key.
Thanks, I'll check it out.
GMH
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Another way to do this might be to use a table of two columns, putting the text in one and the numbering in another, each row holding only one verse of text; one can set the table borders to be invisible when printed; onscreen they may show up as a faint guide line.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
JeJe
Volunteer

Post by JeJe »

Don't know if this helps - but if you use a text frame then you can set the text direction of the frame contents to Right-to-left (horizontal) - then the paragraph numbering will appear on the right hand side.
Windows 10, Openoffice 4.1.11, LibreOffice 7.4.0.3 (x64)
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

GMH wrote: ↑Wed May 03, 2023 3:35 am "Don't you have [Properties β†’ Text Direction] dialog?" Nope. The "properties" business doesn't come up at all.
To see the Text Direction control, you must enable the following OpenOffice option. Options are set with OpenOffice β†’ Preferences on a Mac, Tools β†’ Options on other platforms.
202305042200.gif
202305042200.gif (37.01 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.Β Β  The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).