gDrive oneDrive and Dropbox is now fully integrated to LO/OO

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
psilocybe

gDrive oneDrive and Dropbox is now fully integrated to LO/OO

Post by psilocybe »

Hi all,

I have been trying for a long time to provide LibreOffice/OpenOffice suites with access to remote files present on the Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive or Dropbox account.

Some providers, like Google for gDrive, allow duplicate file/folder names while your storage (your hard drive) and the UNO LibreOffice/OpenOffice API UCB service does not. This difficulty, which I think is not present for nothing, was finally overcome thanks to the use of SQL views, including a recursive one, under HsqlDB.

The second difficulty was to allow offline work and the synchronization of this work by atomic and chronological operations when reconnecting. This was made possible by HsqlDB managing Temporal System-Versioned Tables since its version 2.5.

For those who want to know more, technically speaking see the historical section of the extension.

I believe that regarding the extension, the best way to talk about it is to try it, it costs nothing, and it allows accessing your remote files as easily as your local files.

Google Drive: gDriveOOo
Microsoft oneDrive: oneDriveOOo
Dropbox: DropboxOOo

Thank you for your feedback, this allows me to move forward... :super:
LibreOffice 5.3.3.2 - Lubuntu 16.10 - LxQt 0.11.0.3
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: gDrive oneDrive and Dropbox is now fully integrated to LO/OO

Post by Villeroy »

I do not trust any of these cloud services. However, I have a Nextcloud account where I drop some less important, less confidential stuff. My home directory on a Linux system has a folder "Nextcloud" anything I save to that folder will be synchronized with the cloud. As far as I remember, Dropbox used to work in the same way. What do you mean when you state that these services need to be "fully integrated" by some extension?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Hi Villeroy,

I'm glad to see you again. Besides, I wanted to thank you for the jdbcDriverOOo driver, now rewritten in Java, because it was you who motivated me to write it following a discussion on this same site where we were challenged to render this doable....

Today all my extensions under LibreOffice / OpenOffice use this new driver, and take advantage of a lot of JDBC 4 functionality and all this under python (thanks to Sun for UNO and to HsqlDB for its database).
Villeroy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:20 pm I do not trust any of these cloud services
I think you are definitely right: this is why there is also the vCardOOo extension...
But once you say that, you have two ways to react:
- to do nothing, to ignore...
- to integrate their services as well as they do in their respective office suites...

I preferred to choose the second way, I think it is the one that will give the best results and will ultimately benefit the LibreOffice/OpenOffice suite the most.
Villeroy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:20 pm My home directory on a Linux system has a folder "Nextcloud" anything I save to that folder will be synchronized with the cloud
Which Nextcloud client are you using? I am well aware that the gDriveOOo, OneDriveOOo and DropboxOOo extensions must have their equivalent as a desktop client... The only difference is with the extensions you have the same client regardless of the platform (unix, win, mac).
Moreover technically the difference between these three extensions is a provider.py file of less than 300 lines. So a new provider is very little writing and a lot of testing...
Villeroy wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:20 pm What do you mean when you state that these services need to be "fully integrated" by some extension?
I don't know, things that are complicated to do currently in LibreOffice / OpenOffice and that in a few clicks:
- Open a file you just downloaded to your phone...
- Send a personalized document (mail merge) by email to contacts in your phone's address book...
- Integration of chatGPT... :ouch:

I think this list is endless...
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

psilocybe wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:32 pm - Open a file you just downloaded to your phone...
I share the file with my cloud storage and within seconds it is in the synched folder on my PC.
psilocybe wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:32 pm - Send a personalized document (mail merge) by email to contacts in your phone's address book...
Since the 90ies I'm able to sync my contacts across Thunderbird profiles.
I have a desktop application to view my iphone contacts.
I have a desktop application to view contacts stored on the phone system.
psilocybe wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:32 pm - Integration of chatGPT...
If I would trust that service, ChatGPT should be able to integrate whatever I want, not the other way round.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

What you quote me is exactly the opposite of integration...
I am talking to you about functionality accessible directly in the LibreOffice / OpenOffice suite by a menu and a click.

Anyway, between doing nothing and better integrating the services offered in the other office suites, I made my choice...

In a while we will know if I am wrong....
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If it is your choice, then that's what it is. There's rarely a right or wrong way of doing something especially when there are multiple methods of obtaining the same results.
One method might be better, faster, more secure, etc. than another, but that doesn't mean that the second method is wrong.
To give a comparison:Wireless routers, especially lately, use 2.4 & 5 ghz bandwidths. While 5 is faster, 2.4 is more compatible.
5 is better in that it is faster, but 2.4 is better in that more devices can connect with it. Each has it's own advantages and disadvantages, thus neither one is right or wrong.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

psilocybe wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:55 am What you quote me is exactly the opposite of integration...
I am talking to you about functionality accessible directly in the LibreOffice / OpenOffice suite by a menu and a click.
IMHO it is a question of "where" to integrate. For the classic Dropbox client this is the file-system.

If my main application would be LibreOffice I may see your driver as huge advantage, but it would needed to be repeated in Scribus, IrfanView, Gimp, Thunderbird, ....
So I think the best place for integration would be the file-system or even the OS.

For example: On my system I use a script to import photos from Dropbox, providing offline backup of the "original" and resizing two copies for work to special folders. This work with standard file oriented tools (ImageMagick), and could not use your driver. LibreOffice accesses the converted files later.

I will test your driver when there is time, but I don't think it will change my work much. On the other hand I'm definitely interested how you solved the problem of authentication with all 3 services....
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
psilocybe

Post by psilocybe »

Hey guys, if you want to dissertate on the word integration open a thread... And stop talking about something you didn't even bother to install...

From now on, in order to make our exchanges productive, I no longer speak to people who allow themselves to give their opinion on software that they have not even installed. For me it makes sense, but apparently it needs to be repeated and it will save me wasting my time...
Mountaineer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:40 am On the other hand I'm definitely interested how you solved the problem of authentication with all 3 services....
Everything is done by the OAuth2OOo extension, but if you had installed you would not ask the question...
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

psilocybe wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:40 am ... but if you had installed you would not ask the question...
Sorry you wasted your time here, but actually I didn't ask anything. And I will try to restrain me from posting in the future.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista