ASCII Filter Options --> #####

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
PanicAttack

ASCII Filter Options --> #####

Post by PanicAttack »

Hey, you beautiful people! :)
I am right before a panic attack, since my scientific Review (did not create backup files, because I am an irresponsible and stupid human being) does not show my work (1 month) anymore...

When I want to open my review file (written with OpenOffice 4.1.11) it wants me to choose a filter (ASCII Filter Options).
Then it just shows me:
"##############################################################################################"

My file is 8 pages long and 39kb big.
That is still the case and the pages still resemble the 8 pages. (So somehow the data should still be in there...)

Yesterday before work, I wrote on the file (always saving: "Ctrl+S" in between often) then quickly close my laptop (GIGABYTE, one year, bought in Portugal). When opening the laptop, I had to force quit the laptop, because the screen did not want to turn on... (Happens often... I don't know why, a year ago I had an apple... worked more smoothly.)

The files saving date is still from yesterday.

"AppData > Roaming > OpenOffice > 4 > user > backup" unfortunately is empty.

An update to OpenOffice 4.1.13 did not solve the issue either.
My "WonderShare PDF Reader" can only see "##############" as well...
I tried 3-4 online PDF converters and either they cannot open the damaged file or it will also show "##########".

A "FileRecoveryProgram" (recommended somewhere on the internet) could not recover anything.
I tried opening with word (even tried to buy the familiy license...): but did not work either... spying microsoft did not match my VPN with the purchase address... I don't know, different problem.

I could give access to the file, if that helps anyone...

So, now I am here.
Thanks for reading
Thanks for trying to help
Please lower my cortisol-levels!
Cheers

Edit:
PS
When I started my laptop this morning (like 3h ago) and opened the OpenOfficeWriter-File, I do believe it said something about "update" or so...
- As I wanted to be mindful about my valuable file, I clicked yes/update/okey whatever, to be a good boy...
I don't know, if that information is helpful, but I just reminisced of that.

Thanks again
You will save my month, if you can help out!
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: ASCII Filter Options --> #####

Post by robleyd »

A quick search of the forum would lead you to - at least;
[Tutorial] The Dreaded Pound Signs: file reduced to ####
Why is my Writer file full of #####?

In short, your file contains no useful data. See the start of the second topic above for some suggestions on things you might try to attempt to recover something of your file.The sooner you follow the suggestions, the more chance you have of recovering anything, although there is no guarantee you will have any success.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Why is my Writer file full of #####?

See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) find any temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file but which have not yet been deleted;

e) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. d) and e) will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

If you cannot follow the instructions ask someone with more PC skills to help you. Act quickly - the longer you wait the more likely any deleted temporary files are to be overwritten and therefore lost.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

The problem you are reporting is a common one on this forum for people using OpenOffice. While it will stand you in no good stead for your current issue you might do well to switch to using LibreOffice in future in preference to OpenOffice. There are several good reasons to make the switch, some of which are detailed here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information

In that thread John_Ha gives some summary of reasons to prefer LibreOffice over OpenOffice.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Apache OpenOffice Portable 4.1.15 [PortableApps]
PanicAttack

Post by PanicAttack »

b) can I intentionally do this? how?
c) that would be lovely... how? I already did a restart...
e) is that gone with a restart?

thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Windows 10
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

PanicAttack wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:12 pm I wrote on the file (always saving: "Ctrl+S" in between often) then quickly closed my laptop
Unfortunately the "quickly closed my laptop" probably caused the problem :-( Always wait 10 seconds or so.

See the links you have been referred to.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
AisleSeat

Post by AisleSeat »

I will look at LibreOffice right away, I appreciate John's recommendations. Simply not having the ### bug is reason enough to move along :)
Last edited by AisleSeat on Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, Windows 11
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

AisleSeat wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:00 pm Simply not having the ### bug is reason enough to move along :)
Definitively. I still don't understand why nobody cares in the AOO project.

Check the /backup folder in the OpenOffice User Profile. Sometimes, with a lot of luck, there are remnants there.

Note that there is no AutoSave feature. There is only an AutoRecovery feature but I've never seen any point in it (it does slow down the application however, that's why I don't activate it and always have my fingers on Ctrl+S).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
LastUnicorn

Post by LastUnicorn »

As your mind is now focused on backups then you might find this extension helpful: TimeStampBackup Note that to do the time stamp backup you need to click the (new) icon that will appear on your Toolbar — time stamp backup will not be invoked by just doing a CTRL+S keyboard combination.

The latest version of TimeStampBackup can be got from here (for some reason the offering at 'Extensions' isn't updated with the latest version): TimeStampBackup – FlowCont
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Apache OpenOffice Portable 4.1.15 [PortableApps]