[Solved] Moving to Windows 11

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Pigman

[Solved] Moving to Windows 11

Post by Pigman »

Had to replace my laptop with an HP Win 11 machine. Was running OpenOffice v 4.1.5 on Win 10 and now need to run on Win 11. Although I can open my previous OO files on the Win 11 machine I cannot save any new work (spreadsheet).

Do I need to get an updated version of OO, or is there a patch or workaround available? I have a CD with 4.1.5 available.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
FJCC

Re: Moving to Win 11

Post by FJCC »

You probably need to tell Windows Defender (or whatever they call it on Windows 11) that OpenOffice should be allowed to write to your folder.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
LastUnicorn

Re: Moving to Win 11

Post by LastUnicorn »

A fair number of people have posted here recently with having problems with OpenOffice on Windows 10 and 11 systems. FJCC is correct in advising to look into your Windows Defender settings for something possibly causing the issue there.

That said, you might be better advised, since you are changing system anyway, to switch from using OpenOffice to LibreOffice. There are several reasons for doing so, some of which can be seen here: [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
Pigman

Re: Moving to Windows 11

Post by Pigman »

OK, thanks for the replies. In my forum prowling I saw a number of posts on the problems Windows Defender was getting mixed up in, so I tried to reset some options and also to disable it, all without any consistent results. I then followed LastUnicorn's suggestions and looked into LibreOffice's (App/program?) code. Based on the suggestions from LastUnicorn and after thoroughly reading all his links, I downloaded LibreOffice (Still) (v 7.3x) and after installing it I redirected all the necessary file links to load LibreOffice. WONDERFUL! ! ! All my old data downloaded and displayed perfectly, and I could easily save modified files wherever I needed them. In addition, LibreOffice opened old and new Word files flawlessly once file extensions were directed to LibreOffice.

Thank you again, LastUnicorn.

List management. . . . Please consider my issue resolved and so note it wherever it's necessary. Thank you all for a responsive and accurate forum.
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
robleyd

Re: [Solved] Moving to Windows 11

Post by robleyd »

You can readily note it yourself if you consider the issue solved: see instructions at Tag your thread when it has been [Solved].
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
JanxRwj

Re: [Solved] Moving to Windows 11

Post by JanxRwj »

Your OpenOffice version isn't fully compatible with Windows 11, which could be causing the issue with saving new work. Try updating to the latest version of OpenOffice to see if that resolves the issue. Alternatively, you could use a different office suite, such as LibreOffice, which is also free and open source. As for your CD with version 4.1.5, it may be optional to use that since you can download the latest version of OpenOffice directly from their website. Best of luck with your issue! BTW, if you need a cheap Windows 10 product key, you might want to check out the windows 10 product key reddit for more information.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista