[Solved] Envelope stops letter page printing

Discuss the word processor
readingr

[Solved] Envelope stops letter page printing

Post by readingr »

I am using Openoffice 4.1.11 on MacOS Mojave.

I created a letter and then added an envelop to the letter which goes in on page 1.

The envelop prints correctly but the letter itself will not print no matter what I do.

The envelop is a DL format and the letter is A4.

I have tried selecting the page to print pictorially, print page 2 of 2 (1 of 2 is the envelop), I have tried forcing the envelop page to print as A4 and to print all pages but all it ever prints in the envelop and then stops.

I have run out of ideas on how you select the second page to print just the letter, any one got any ideas?

Regards
RR
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on MacOS Mojave
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Envelop stops letter page printing

Post by Zizi64 »

Please upload a small sample file here. The content not relevant, use dummy text. We want to examine the structure, the page properties of your document.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It's almost certainly a paper problem in the printer where you need two paper sizes or you need to change paper. Read the printer manual on printing envelopes or printing with letters with headings - it's the same thing.

The easy workaround is to select printing only page 1 (the envelope) and selecting the paper size or tray. Now print only page 2 (or all pages from 2 onwards) selecting the paper size or tray.

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
readingr

Post by readingr »

Tried all of what you suggested. When I told the system to print page 2 of 2 which is A4 the macos print menu would let me change the paper size to A4 but would then comeback with no pages to print.

I went into preview and selected the A4 page from there and still it would comeback with no page to print.

I am very confused by the fact I cannot select the page to print from within OpenOffice easily and just print the selected page.

When I tell the system to print all at A4 it still only prints the envelop and not the letter page. There is something amiss with the linkage between openoffice and the macos printing system.
MrProgrammer

Re: Envelope stops letter page printing

Post by MrProgrammer »

readingr wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:18 pm I have run out of ideas on how you select the second page to print just the letter, any one got any ideas?
Save the document
Delete the envelope you created (you will probably need to reset the Page Style of the second page)
Print the document
Close the document without saving, so the envelope remains in the saved file.
[Solved] Delete an envelope I've inserted

readingr wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:30 pm I am very confused by the fact I cannot select the page to print from within OpenOffice easily and just print the selected page.
Q35: Why doesn't my print dialog look like examples in posts on the forum?
Uncheck Use OpenOffice dialogs. Now printing is controlled by the dialog which comes from your printer manufacturer and is designed for your printer. Consult the documentation for your printer to learn how to print selected pages. Use a web search if you can't locate the documentation which came with your printer. Knowing how to use yoiur printer is a basic MacOS skill. With the printer dialog for my printer, I find it easier to have OpenOffice print the entire file, then use the printer's dialog to tell it which pages to print.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
readingr

Post by readingr »

Zizi64 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:13 am Please upload a small sample file here. The content not relevant, use dummy text. We want to examine the structure, the page properties of your document.
Sorry for the delay, was down in Wales with no Computer.

Here is a sample document with the envelop.
Attachments
TestEnvelopLetter.odt
(11.41 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
readingr

Post by readingr »

This is what I get when I try to print page 2 of 2 after the printer dialogue box on the macos.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 17.13.56.png
Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 17.13.56.png (53.54 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

MrProgrammer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:29 pm Delete the envelope you created (you will probably need to reset the Page Style of the second page)
Print the document
Those steps worked for me. Read the link I gave you about deleting an envelope if you have trouble with this process.
Writer Guide: Chapter 5 Printing, Exporting, Faxing, and E-Mailing

MrProgrammer wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:29 pm I find it easier to have OpenOffice print the entire file, then use the printer's dialog to tell it which pages to print.
I opened your attachment and selected the entire content of the document for printing: Edit → Select All, File → Print. In my printer's dialog box I tell it to print page 2, since the envelope you created is page 1. Those steps worked for me. I don't know how your printer's dialog box is structured. It may be different than the one for my printer.
[Solved] Only Prints First Page
Print on MacOS.gif
Print on MacOS.gif (48.11 KiB) Viewed 2353 times

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
readingr

Post by readingr »

Thank you all for the help so far.

Interesting, I have just noticed after looking at your printer controls that my "Print selection only" is greyed out.

Any ideas how to get this ungreyed?

Roger
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 19.42.31.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 19.42.31.jpg (32.29 KiB) Viewed 2346 times
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

readingr wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:15 pm No pages from the document were selected to be printed
readingr wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:49 pm I have just noticed after looking at your printer controls that my "Print selection only" is greyed out.
Did you make a selection in your document for the printer to print? My previous post tells you to use Edit → Select All before you try to print. How can you expect to solve the problem if you don't follow the instructions? It seems reasonable to me that Print selection only is not available when nothing has been selected.

If you continue to have trouble with printing, did you try my suggestion to delete the envelope before printing? How can you expect to solve the problem if you don't try methods which worked for me?

readingr wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:18 pm I have run out of ideas on how you select the second page to print just the letter, any one got any ideas?
A third idea is to use File → Export to PDF and use Preview to open the PDF and begin printing with page 2. Or you can use Writer menu File → Print → PDF → Open in Preview. I see the PDF button on your Screenshot 2022-10-11 at 19.42.31.jpg. If you can't print from Preview, you do not have an OpenOffice problem, and you should consult an Apple forum for help with printing. I provided a link to Apple's printer support article. Have you studied all the links I've given you? How can you expect to solve the problem if you don't read that material?

A fourth idea: You can use Preview to delete the first page, then print what remains. Read Apple's instructions to learn how to delete pages in Preview.

Mr. Programmer
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Resetting the OpenOffice user profile worked for one user:

[Solved] Only Prints First Page
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
readingr

Post by readingr »

MrProgrammer
Apologies, I have tried everything you suggested, Selected all pages and tried to print with the results of no pages selected posted earlier. This is when I noticed the difference in my "Print Selection only" was greyed out and I cannot explain why.
I deleted the envelop and printed the letter page and that worked, but that is a pain and it should work.
Export to PDF allows me to print both or just the selected page.

I have just installed a clean MACOs Catalina 10.15.7, and Open Office and moved the file across with the same issue if I dont select all the pages, but if I select all the pages then it can print what I want, this is strange as I would have expected that all pages are selected by default.
readingr

[Solved] Re: Envelope stops letter page printing

Post by readingr »

I consider this now solved as the upgrade to Catalina sorted the problem for me. However, I think the pages should be pre-selected when asking to print a document so that you can choose the page or pages you want printed. All other office products work in this way.

Regards and thank you for all the help
Roger