Torrent Links?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mzs_47

Torrent Links?

Post by mzs_47 »

I would like to try OpenOffice, but the problem is, I can't complete the download over a slow link..
I have tried this multiple times in the night or some other time, but it does not complete either due to power cuts, or someone else torrenting, etc.. Which is frustrating. :x

When searched, I got the legacy downloads, not the latest ones.. :(

Won't it be a good Idea to support p2p downloads?
Why OO does not have this option anymore[if it used to]?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Lock ancient topic which is perhaps less relevent to today's hardware
Libreoffice, PC-BSD, Debian
Hagar Delest

Re: Torrent Links?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I fully agree. I even opened a topic on the dev mailing list to ask the support of torrent for official distribution, see this discussion: http://www.mail-archive.com/dev@openoff ... 11309.html

But not much success so far...

You can perhaps ask for it: [Tutorial] Reporting bugs or suggestions
I've never bothered to avoid hot discussions with narrow minded people.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mzs_47

Post by mzs_47 »

Glad that you tried :) , but looking at the list, it looks they are not interested to support this.
I wonder what harm does it do, or is it because of shortage of manpower. :-?

If someone argues that less than 1% of users use torrents, yeah, we can drop support for BSD/Linux too, as only 1% of users use it.
Its easier to get a pirated copy of MS office than to get a copy of OO! ;)

I sincerely appreciate your concern/thought for users who lack fast connection. Thanks!
Libreoffice, PC-BSD, Debian
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

mzs_47 wrote:If someone argues that less than 1% of users use torrents, yeah, we can drop support for BSD/Linux too, as only 1% of users use it.
Its easier to get a pirated copy of MS office than to get a copy of OO! ;)
Good points!
I'll try to remember that the next time the discussion resurfaces on the mailing list!
mews

Post by mews »

I just registered for the purpose of adding my voice (should that be cri de coeur) to the request for Apache OpenOffice downloads.
My reasons for preferring torrents are reflected in prior posts above but in general I find it a faff and time waste to need to check hashes etc hence preference for torrent since this is done by a torrent client. Barring placing of malicious torrent download links on Apache OO website I don't think the "adulteration" concern is realistic for the average user - binary downloads presumably can also be swapped out for malicious if a suitably determined party is involved and they swap signing key sigs etc.

LibreOffice has its torrent downloads clearly showing on its download page; no fuss, no messing.

With Apache OO, I have spent quite some time trying to find its torrent page and ended up at
https://www.openoffice.org/distribution/p2p/magnet.html
which I thought might be pointing to current - but no, inspecting the magnet link indicates it is for v.2.1.0, whereas the page above linked appears to indicate it is for current version(s). Only if you click there on "Bittorrent Link" aka https://www.openoffice.org/distribution/p2p/index.html do you find out it is for "legacy". What a waste of time!

The torrents RSS link at
http://borft.student.utwente.nl/%7Emike/oo/bt.rss
also appears dead.

Typically site maintainers seem to like torrent downloads for large files since presumably it saves server costs. Is there "money to burn" at Apache or some other reason why torrents are still discontinued?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.13 on Windows 7 Professional SP1
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

The forum is managed by users like you, no developers at all.
You should post in the dev mailing list: https://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-l ... ist-public
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I think that for 99% of users the current situation is fine so I doubt development will do much to change things. I can download AOO in about 30-40 seconds on only 36 Mb/s broadband.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I quite agree. It may make sense for big files like a GNU/Linux distro that needs more than 2GBi. But now with broadband, a 300MBi is not that long.