[Solved] Quickly test if there is any data entry in a spreadsheet

Discuss the spreadsheet application
brannsiu

[Solved] Quickly test if there is any data entry in a spreadsheet

Post by brannsiu »

I'd like to know this for a long time but had no chance raising a question.

I mean, for example, even if a spreadsheet without any data, it will automatically generate new rows and new columns when I scroll down and left respectively, and I can see more rows/columns than the computer screen can show.

Is there any way to check if there is any data entry left in a spreadsheet?
e.g. A data is probably located in column M and row 456 (just an example), I think it's so difficult to check scroll up and down, left and right, in a spreadsheet, to find out if there is any data left in a spreadsheet.

Do you get what I mean?

Thanks.
Last edited by brannsiu on Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Openoffice 4.1.8 and unspecified version of LibreOffice
DiGro

Re: How to quickly test if there is any data entry in a spreadsheet?

Post by DiGro »

Try File > Properties > Statistics

AOO 4.1.15 (Dutch) on Windows 11. Scanned with Ziggo Safe Online (F-Secure)
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

File > Page Preview ..., shows entries at Column EZ Rows 1200 and 1201, but not if it is white text. That being said, if you don't know the address it is difficult to find the cells in the spreadsheet itself.

If you want to be sure you have deleted everything else, copy what you want to a new sheet and delete the sheet, or click the Select all box at top left and delete, then paste back.
Clipboard01.gif
Clipboard01.gif (4.26 KiB) Viewed 1132 times
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

brannsiu wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:13 am I think it's so difficult to check scroll up and down, left and right, in a spreadsheet, to find out if there is any data left in a spreadsheet.
DiGro wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:03 pm Try File > Properties > Statistics
If File → Properties → Statistics shows that Number of cells is nonzero, use ⌘End on a Mac or Ctrl+End on other platforms to move to the last cell which contains data on the sheet. If that action moves to cell A1 but A1 is empty, the active sheet is empty. Read more about keyboard shortcuts using Help → Index → shortcut keys;spreadsheets.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
brannsiu

Post by brannsiu »

MrProgrammer wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:26 pm
brannsiu wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:13 am I think it's so difficult to check scroll up and down, left and right, in a spreadsheet, to find out if there is any data left in a spreadsheet.
DiGro wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:03 pm Try File > Properties > Statistics
If File → Properties → Statistics shows that Number of cells is nonzero, use ⌘End on a Mac or Ctrl+End on other platforms to move to the last cell which contains data on the sheet. If that action moves to cell A1 but A1 is empty, the active sheet is empty. Read more about keyboard shortcuts using Help → Index → shortcut keys;spreadsheets.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Hello, when I get to the "last cell" by pressing ctrl+end (I'm using Windows). Does it mean there should be no any data below and on the right?
MrProgrammer

Re: Quickly test if there is any data entry in a spreadsheet

Post by MrProgrammer »

brannsiu wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:46 pm Does it mean there should be no any data below and on the right?
Yes.

If you find that Ctrl+End does not move down and right to the last cell with data, attach the document demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself).

Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
brannsiu

Post by brannsiu »

MrProgrammer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:20 pm
brannsiu wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:46 pm Does it mean there should be no any data below and on the right?
Yes.

If you find that Ctrl+End does not move down and right to the last cell with data, attach the document demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself).
Great tips, but please do not delete this thread because I'm not a regular user from time to time I may use it but forget it so I'll come back to my threads for reference

Edit: We won't. Topics are deleted only in rare cases because the goal of the forum is to preserve them so others can benefit from the discussion as explained in the following material from the Survival Guide: Make your post understandable by others
You can find topics which you created using the Your posts selection in the Quick links (upper left corner of this page).
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
brannsiu

Post by brannsiu »

MrProgrammer wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:20 pm
Yes.

Hi, so now I've found another problem that is similar. I am now able to know how to quickly check if there is any data left for the whole sheet. However, is it possible to check only particular row or column? Sometimes I may want to delete a whole column or row but I happen to find that I'll need to go through from top to bottom, or left to right. Time wasting is a problem, another problem is possible mistake.
FJCC

Re: [Solved] Quickly test if there is any data entry in a spreadsheet

Post by FJCC »

If you hold the CTRL key while pressing an arrow key, the cursor will jump to the next occupied cell and if all of the cells are empty in the given direction, the cursor will jump to the last row or column. If the cursor is in B1, pressing CTRL + Down Arrow will cause the cursor to jump to B1048576 if column B is empty. You can jump back to B1 using CTRL + Up Arrow
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Re: [Solved] Quickly test if there is any data entry in a spreadsheet

Post by MrProgrammer »

brannsiu wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:09 pm However, is it possible to check only particular row or column? Sometimes I may want to delete a whole column or row but I happen to find that I'll need to go through from top to bottom, or left to right. Time wasting is a problem …
This was previously answered for you nearly a month ago in the following material which apparently you didn't read and which describes exactly the same shortcuts that FJCC just provided along with many other ones which will help you use Calc more efficiently. It is a waste of our time when you don't follow the advice you've been given. In exchange for free help with your problem you are expected to study the responses.
MrProgrammer wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:26 pm Read more about keyboard shortcuts using Help → Index → shortcut keys;spreadsheets.
Mr. Programmer