OpenOffice 4.1.8 crashing every few minutes

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
brannsiu

OpenOffice 4.1.8 crashing every few minutes

Post by brannsiu »

I am using only document and spreadsheet for basic functions (I am not an advanced user), I never create those marco stuff, my system is Windows 10 home running on i5 2nd generation CPU (bought 10 years ago), 8GB RAM, 10+ GB system space available..

It just crashes SO OFTEN, I have to keep in mind saving the documents when I am working on it for probably every 5 minutes, it's like when I am typing (especially with spreedsheet), it will crash within 5 minutes and lost new data if I forget to save.

What seems to be the problem?

Any way to have it fixed?

It just crashes too often!!
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed subject
Openoffice 4.1.8 and unspecified version of LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: crashing very often

Post by John_Ha »

see Re: OpenOffice keeps crashing on Windows 10

Strange problems are often fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Hagar Delest

Re: Crashing very often

Post by Hagar Delest »

And if no change, try LibreOffice, AOO development is stalling for years.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
brannsiu

Re: crashing very often

Post by brannsiu »

John_Ha wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 5:06 pm see Re: OpenOffice keeps crashing on Windows 10

Strange problems are often fixed by resetting the user profile - see Resetting the user profile.
What will be lost after resetting the user profile?
Openoffice 4.1.8 and unspecified version of LibreOffice
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

See https://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/v ... 581#p58581 for information on the data stored in the profile.

You will certainly lose the recent files list and possibly some local configuration of toolbars.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

What will be lost after resetting the user profile?
... The macros stored in the MyMacros... (archive them before you reset the profile).
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Nothing will be lost if you copy them back as described in the link.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
kathiedi

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.8 crashing every few minutes

Post by kathiedi »

I have exactly the same problem and have had it for years, through different computers and I'm about to give up.

My files are saved as *.ods
My spreadsheets are not complex, having about 12 sheets per file and some very easy formulas on some pages.
Apache Open Office 4.1.8
AOO418m3(Build:9803) - Rev. 18848f57b6
2020-10-29 16:56

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) m3-8100Y CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.61 GHz
Product ID 00356-05787-82364-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Pen and touch support with 10 touch points

When I go to save it, or sometimes do something else, I get a message something like "unallocated ..." and it crashes. I'm constantly trying to save every 30 seconds. It crashes at least 5 times an hour.

I noticed a comment while searching a solution the the effect of: "well you are the only one having this problem or we'd be inundated with millions of users". THAT and only that motivated me to respond.
Kathie
Apache Open Office 4.1.8 AOO418m3(Build:9803) - Rev. 18848f57b6
2020-10-29 16:56

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) m3-8100Y CPU @ 1.10GHz 1.61 GHz

System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch

Kathiedi
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

kathiedi wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:21 pm I get a message something like "unallocated ..." and it crashes.
Please give the exact words of the error message as the error message tells the user what went wrong. It is useful to search the forum with the exact words of the error message.

There is a known Calc bug with complex spreadsheets to do with bad allocation - you may be hitting it. See [Solved] Keep getting bad allocation and no save after input. Switching to LibreOffice fixes it.
 Edit: The bug report suggests it is a memory allocation problem where AOO Calc - a 32-bit application - crashes when it tries to allocate more than 2GB of memory. 2GB is the 32-bit address limit. It is therefore dependent on the total memory being used and not necessarily how big the spreadsheet is.
Each new sheet they are pasted into increases memory usage by several hundred MB, and when RAM usage nears 2 GiB, the "bad allocation" message box briefly comes up, then OpenOffice silently exits (probably as even the recovery attempt crashes separately).

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.

Kingcharle

Post by Kingcharle »

John_Ha wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:35 pm
kathiedi wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:21 pm I get a message something like "unallocated ..." and it crashes.
Please give the exact words of the error message as the error message tells the user what went wrong. It is useful to search the forum with the exact words of the error message.

There is a known Calc bug with complex spreadsheets to do with bad allocation - you may be hitting it. See [Solved] Keep getting bad allocation and no save after input. Switching to LibreOffice fixes it.
 Edit: The bug report suggests it is a memory allocation problem where AOO Calc - a 32-bit application - crashes when it tries to allocate more than 2GB of memory. 2GB is the 32-bit address limit. It is therefore dependent on the total memory being used and not necessarily how big the spreadsheet is.
Each new sheet they are pasted into increases memory usage by several hundred MB, and when RAM usage nears 2 GiB, the "bad allocation" message box briefly comes up, then OpenOffice silently exits (probably as even the recovery attempt crashes separately).

Showing that a problem has been solved helps others searching so, if your problem is now solved, please view your first post in this thread and click the Edit button (top right in the post) and add [Solved] in front of the subject.
Well, that's pretty much right because of the fact that LibreOffice is a 64-bit app so more bits to allocate :knock: :oops:
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10