[Solved] Are LibreOffice files fully compatible with OpenOffice?

Not sure where to post? Post here!
brannsiu

[Solved] Are LibreOffice files fully compatible with OpenOffice?

Post by brannsiu »

Is file created by OpenOffice fully compatible with LibreOffice?
If a file is created by OpenOffice, could it lose anything if opened by LibreOffice and vice versa?

Is there anything I'll have to pay special attention to if I sometimes edit a file with OpenOffice but sometimes with LibreOffice? I have two computers.

In most cases, I only create a document with text and pictures and sometimes simple spreadsheet to calculate sum of income and expenses, but may be done with two computers and two Office.

Edit: Changed subject, was Is file created by OpenOffice fully compatible with LibreOffice? 
The answer to the original question is a definite yes, but the reverse case leads to more helpful discussion
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged solved.
Openoffice 4.1.8 and unspecified version of LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Is file created by OpenOffice fully compatible with LibreOffice?

Post by Zizi64 »

Is file created by OpenOffice fully compatible with LibreOffice?
It depends on the version of the installed AOO and LO.

If a file is created by OpenOffice, could it lose anything if opened by LibreOffice and vice versa?
The latest version of the Apache OpenOffice can handle the "ODF 1.2 extended" version only. But the default file format of the latest LibreOffice is the "ODF 1.3 extended" version.
Of course you can adjust the settings in the LO: Then it will save in the older ODF version by default. Note: Some newer properties will not be saved into the document.

I suppose it: the AOO can open the "ODF 1.3" and the "ODF 1.3 extended" version documents, but some properties will not be appeared.

See the setting of this feature on both office suites: Tools - Options - Load/Save - General...

Is there anything I'll have to pay special attention to if I sometimes edit a file with OpenOffice but sometimes with LibreOffice? I have two computers.
Always better to use same office suite and same version on your computer, when you want to edit a document on both of the PC-s.
Last edited by Zizi64 on Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
robleyd

Post by robleyd »

LibreOffice will have some features that OpenOffice doesn't, and LO (recent versions) save by default using ODF* version 1.3 where AOO# still uses version 1.2.

If you configure LO to save in ODF 1.2 andtry to avoid using LO features which are not available in AOO you should have no issues.

* Open Document Format
# Apache OpenOffice
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.1.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.1 by Eric Hameleers
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Usually you should not loose data, some advanced features just may not work, if used.

As AOO will constantly tell you "there may be problems" on opening, I'd suggest saving in ODF1.2, if you don't need 1.3

If you use Calc you have to avoid using some newer functions in LibreOffice. Some are introduced for better compatibility with excel. So prefer LibreOffice, if you need to import xlsx-files often - or test carefully.

J.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

When you open ODF 1.2 with LibreOffice, you lose nothing.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See [Tutorial] Differences between Microsoft and AOO/LO files for a description of differences between various file types.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.