Deactivate Automatic Updates

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
schlanske

Deactivate Automatic Updates

Post by schlanske »

Edit: Split from [Solved] AOO 4.1.13 crashes on MacOS about 15 sec after opening because that topic is solved so you need your own. Your situation might be different, so we don't want to have discussion about your problem in that topic. Please do not post in another's topic unless you are helping to solve their problem for them. 

How did you deactivate that update-process without starting AOO?
In my case i can't find the specified directory "ProblemReports" under ~/Library/Logs/
Thanks for pointing out why my AOO stopped working.

sundialsvc4 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:43 pm Problem Solved. (Well, sort of ...)

In the directory ~/Library/Logs/ProblemReports, which was initially root-protected, I found the following important clue, which appeared to point to the "automatically check for updates" process. When I turned this option off, the problem disappeared.

Now, the immediate question is – how to report this problem to the OpenOffice staff?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split topic; Removed quoted dump from the other topic since it's not relevant to schlanske's situation
OpenOffice 4.1.13 on MacOS Monterey 12.5.1 (M1)
MrProgrammer

Re: Deactivate Automatic Updates

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
schlanske wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:09 pm How did you deactivate that update-process without starting AOO?
Can't you set the option in OpenOffice as the very first action after starting it?
• Launch OpenOffice
• Press ⌘, to open the Options dialog     (hold the ⌘ key, press the comma key, release ⌘)
• 1. Select Online Update
• 2. Remove the check for updates
• 3. Click OK to save the change
For good measure then press ⌘Q to quit OpenOffice and ensure the profile is updated immediately. These actions should only take a few seconds. You do have to be quick.
Issue 128535 MacOS: Application crashes 30 seconds after opening if "check for automatic updates" is turned on
Disable automatic updates in options dialog
Disable automatic updates in options dialog
202209061111.gif (19.26 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

If a recovery dialog starts then you launch OpenOffice, cancel it. If this is with a new profile and you are prompted to enter your name and initials, skip that by clicking Next then Finish before presssing ⌘, to open the Options dialog. You can set name/initials later, after you've turned off automatic updates. Press ⌘, again and select the User Data category.

If the update check was the reason your OpenOffice was failing, that difficulty should now be resolved. However there may be other reasons OpenOffice can crash. I'm quite sure automatic updates are not the cause of all crashes. I don't experience the problem myself with OpenOffice 4.1.7 on MacOS 10.14.6 though I long ago disabled Automatic Updates.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Mac FAQ
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Another way to disable automatic updates uses Terminal in MacOS. But many people will find the process difficult compared to just unchecking the option as explained above. Download this file:
NoUpdates.txt
MacOS script to disable automatic updates
(535 Bytes) Downloaded 112 times

If OpenOffice is running, use OpenOffice → Quit. In Finder, use Go → Applications, then open the Utilities folder. Launch Terminal.app and issue these three commands:
cd ~/Downloads
chmod +x NoUpdates.txt
./NoUpdates.txt

Then use Terminal → Quit. The original file is saved as registrymodifications.aoo. When NoUpdates.txt changes the setting it displays:
   Property in file /Users/Guest/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice/4/user/registrymodifications.xcu:
   Before= <prop oor:name="AutoCheckEnabled" oor:op="fuse" oor:type="xs:boolean"><value>true</value></prop>
   After=  <prop oor:name="AutoCheckEnabled" oor:op="fuse" oor:type="xs:boolean"><value>false</value></prop>

schlanske wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 3:09 pm Thanks for pointing out why my AOO stopped working.
If you receive message Xpath set is empty this means that automatic updates are not enabled because OpenOffice has not created the parts of the profile which control automatic updates. Thus the automatic updates feature would not be the cause of your crash. The script doesn't make any changes to the profile in this situation because it can't find the property it wants to change. The automatic updates profile proprties won't have been created if all you've done is use the Welcome to OpenOffice dialog. I don't know when those profile properties are created. But you can use the simple method explained in the previous post in that situation.

This is the content of the NoUpdates.txt file above:
#!/bin/bash
p='<prop oor:name="AutoCheckEnabled" oor:op="fuse" oor:type="xs:boolean"><value>'
q='true</value></prop>'
x="/ooritems/item/prop[@oorname='AutoCheckEnabled']"
rm=~/"Library/Application Support/OpenOffice/4/user/registrymodifications.xcu"
echo "Property in file $rm:"
echo "Before= $(sed 's/oor:/oor/g' "$rm" | xmllint --xpath "$x" - | sed 's/oor/&:/g')"
cp "$rm" "${rm%xcu}aoo"
sed "s_$p${q}_$p${q/#true/false}_" "${rm%xcu}aoo" >"$rm"
echo "After=  $(sed 's/oor:/oor/g' "$rm" | xmllint --xpath "$x" - | sed 's/oor/&:/g')"

What does the script do? The first line tells MacOS this is a script written in a language called bash. The next four lines set some variables which indicate what needs to be changed and where it is. The echo lines display the current value of the AutoCheckEnabled property. The cp line makes a backup copy of the file. The sed line changes the property from true to false. The last line displays the updated value of the AutoCheckEnabled property.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
schlanske

Post by schlanske »

Thank you very much MrProgrammer for you quick reply.
I tried both methods but unfortunately the first one i could not apply because AOO shuts down immidately after launching it.
So there is no chance to Press ⌘, to open the Options dialog.

The second one spits out the error "Xpath set is empty".
I tried uninstalling and install again the recent version of AOO but i was not able to resolve the Problem.
Will try again in a month : (

I am on Monterey 12.5.1 and downloaded OpenOffice_4.1.13_MacOS_x86-64_install_de

Thank you very much for your kind assistance.
Regards,
Thomas
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Note that you should update your forum signature that tells "OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista". It is misleading because we don't know if you first posted by mistake or not in a Mac OS forum and topic. It can be accessed in the User control panel (drop down list on your avatar top right of the page).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
schlanske

Post by schlanske »

I already changed it. Sorry for any misunderstanding.