[Solved] Tab stops disappear from ruler when selecting 2nd paragraph

Discuss the word processor
Padeen

[Solved] Tab stops disappear from ruler when selecting 2nd paragraph

Post by Padeen »

Q1: I'm making a list. Each entry is a paragraph. I set tabs for the first paragraph, and each line (paragraph) that follows has the same tabs. When I then have a longer entry I need to move a tab that affects all the lines, BUT when I select all the lines (paragraphs) which were using common tabs, the tabs disappear from the tab line at the top of the page! How best to move a tab so it affects all the lines in a list using a new paragraph for each line?

Q2: Can someone direct me to a comprehensive Styles tutorial?

TIA!

Edit: Changed subject, was Tabs & Styles 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.1.6 on Windows 10
MrProgrammer

Re: Tabs & Styles

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Padeen wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:54 pm Q1: How best to move a tab so it affects all the lines in a list using a new paragraph for each line?
To learn about this task, search for the words tab stop in OpenOffice Writer Guide

If you need any additional assistance, attach a document demonstrating the situation (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself). Explain your goal for the tab stops in the paragraphs. Until then, I suspect the best way to accomplish this task is to apply a style to all of those paragraphs. Once you've done that, modify the properties of the style to set the desired tab stops. This immediately affects all the paragraphs with that style.

Padeen wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:54 pm Q2: Can someone direct me to a comprehensive Styles tutorial?
Writer Guide: Chapter 6 Introduction to Styles
Writer Guide: Chapter 7 Working with Styles
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Tabs & Styles

Post by Bill »

Padeen wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:54 pm ...when I select all the lines (paragraphs) which were using common tabs, the tabs disappear from the tab line at the top of the page!
The tabs in the ruler disappeared because at least one tab in at least one of the selected paragraphs has a setting that does not match the rest of the paragraphs.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04