[Solved] Formula to identify if a date is 2nd or 4th Thursday

Discuss the spreadsheet application
jstack

[Solved] Formula to identify if a date is 2nd or 4th Thursday

Post by jstack »

I'm having trouble finding a formula. I need to return a specific result if A1 = the 2nd or 4th Thursday of any given month
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
MrProgrammer

Re: Formula to identify if a date is 2nd or 4th Thursday

Post by MrProgrammer »

jstack wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:16 pm I need to return a specific result if A1 = the 2nd or 4th Thursday of any given month
Get the date of the first Thursday for the month and subtract that to see if the result is 7 (2nd) or 21 (4th).
[Tutorial] Calc date formulas, section P

If you need any additional assistance attach a document demonstrating the difficulty (remove confidential information then use Post Reply, not Quick Reply, and don't attach a picture instead of the document itself).

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
jstack

Post by jstack »

I'm not sure that does what I need. If A1 = 8/25, and that happens to be the 2nd or 4th Thursday, then I need D25 = YES, otherwise 0. If A1 equals any other date than the 2nd or 4th Thursday, D25 will equal 0. Thanks in advance
OpenOffice 4.1.2 on Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Column A: random dates
Column B: first tuesday
Column C: test if the difference between A and B is either 7 or 21
Attachments
t108348.ods
(46.33 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Lupp
Volunteer

Post by Lupp »

Sorry something like "8/25" isn't a date at all. There is no date without a year, and crippled dates you don't know a year for can't get assigned a weekday. Let me assume, your sloppy 8/25 was meant to mean 2022-08-25.
You will see that the formula I suggest below will return the ordinal number 4 - and actually the days number 4, 11, 18, and 25 of that august are thursdays.
jstack wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:16 pm I'm having trouble finding a formula. I need to return a specific result if A1 = the 2nd or 4th Thursday of any given month.
Let me understand this as.
Suppose A1 contains a date. I want to know if this date is the second or the fourth thursday of the month to which that date belongs.

I wouldn't insist on finding the first thursday of that month, but try to find two subexpressions:
One deciding if the day is a thursday at all - and
One giving the the number of times the weekday of that date was reeoccurring in this month already.
Assuming the first expression returns 0 for "not a thursday" and 1 for "yes, a tuesday", you only need to multiply the first reult with the second to get a kind of ordinal number for "thursday": 0 for "not a thursday" and 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 as the ordinal if the date is a tuesday.
First expression: (WEEKDAY(A1;2)=4) [where 4 is the number telling "thursday".
That's 'Boolean', but FALSE can also represent the number 0 and TRUE the number 1.]
Second expression (INT((DAY(A1)-1)/7)+1) by which you count how often the current weekday already occurred in the month.
If (WEEKDAY(A1;2)=4) * (INT((DAY(A1)-1)/7)+1) returns 2 or 4, you have one of your special cases. You can now just check if

Code: Select all

(ABS((WEEKDAY(A1;2)=4) * (INT((DAY(A1)-1)/7)+1) - 3)=1

or you can assign different values or formula results to both the cases by

Code: Select all

=CHOOSE((WEEKDAY(A1;2)=4) * (INT((DAY(A1)-1)/7)+1) + 1; 0; 0;, IsSecondThuFormula; 0; IsFourthThuFormula; 0)
which will return 0 if the date from A1 either is not a tuesday at all or the first, third, or fifth one in the month. (The addition of + 1 is necessary because CHOOSE numbers its positions 1-based.)
This solution should also be flexible enough to be easily adaptable to different but similar cases.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München