Table Control doesn't ask me for fields

Discuss the database features
doranhenrie

Table Control doesn't ask me for fields

Post by doranhenrie »

I am adding a table control into a subform it doesn't aske me what fields I want. It just opens blank. How do I fix this?
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
keme
Volunteer

Re: Table Control doesn't ask me for fields

Post by keme »

Can't test right now, but from memory (admittedly, it's been a while):
In the table control properties you select a relational object (table/query/view) which the control should operate on.
If you need a selection of fields from a table, you first create a query picking those fields. Connect the control to that query, not to the table.
 Edit: Forget this! I remembered wrong. Connection is on form properties. See answer from UnklDonald418 below. 
Last edited by keme on Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The last button on toolbar "Form controls" toggles the wizard on and off that may appear when you draw a new form control.
Toolbar "Form Design" has a button "Add fields" at 6th position. It opens a little window with field names to be dropped into the form or into a table control. This is a way how to fill a blank table control quickly.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
doranhenrie

Post by doranhenrie »

keme wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:07 am Can't test right now, but from memory (admittedly, it's been a while):
In the table control properties you select a relational object (table/query/view) which the control should operate on.
If you need a selection of fields from a table, you first create a query picking those fields. Connect the control to that query, not to the table.
I don't see that anything even related to something like that because it is missing the "Data" tab. I only have the "general" and "events" tab[. This is in base/quote]
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-22 135107.png
Screenshot 2022-07-22 135107.png (31.02 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
OpenOffice 4.1.12 on Windows 10
UnklDonald418
Volunteer

Post by UnklDonald418 »

It appears you have a table control attached to a Form with no data source.
The simple solution is to turn the Wizards On (Wizards On/Off is usually at the bottom of the list of Form Controls along the left margin). When you add a table control the wizard prompts you for a data source.

Alternatively, right click on your table control and select Form to open the Form Properties dialog.
That dialog will have a Data tab, where at minimum you need to choose Content type and Content.
Then right click on the top of your table control where the column headings go and select Insert Column, Text Box is usually a good choice.
Select your new column heading and the Form Properties dialog will change to a Properties: Text Box dialog that should have a Data tab where you can choose a Data field.
If your problem has been solved, please edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the beginning of the subject line
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.14 & LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 (x86_64) - Windows 10 Professional- Windows 11