[Solved] AOO Crashes After A Minute - Fedora 35

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
jbkt23

[Solved] AOO Crashes After A Minute - Fedora 35

Post by jbkt23 »

I've upgraded 2 of my computers from F33 to F35. Both machines have AOO 4.1.5 installed. On one machine with an AMD processor and graphics open office crashes after about a minute in either writer or calc, and offers to revover the file but then crashes again after apparently completing the recovery. The other machine has an intel processor and graphics and is working just fine.

I've run this command on both machines with the same results:
$ ldd -v /opt/openoffice4/program/libvclplug_gtk.so | grep -i "not found"
ldd: warning: you do not have execution permission for `/opt/openoffice4/program/libvclplug_gtk.so'
libxml2.so.2 (LIBXML2_2.4.30) => not found
libxml2.so.2 (LIBXML2_2.6.0) => not found
The library libxml2.so.2 does exist it just points to a more recent version:
libxml2.so.2 -> libxml2.so.2.9.12
I'll look to see if i can produce any other error output after reading a few other crash reports here.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved]
Openoffice 4.1 on Fedora 27 +
jbkt23

Re: AOO Crashes After A Minute - Fedora 35

Post by jbkt23 »

Well I figured out what feature is causing the crash and it is the " Check for Open Office Updates" feature in the Tool > Options menu. It was enabled and I noticed the crash occurred seconds after the green icon appeared in the upper right corner of the window indicating an update was available. Once I disabled that feature and reopened AOO I no longer had any crashes.
That feature was never enabled on the Intel machine.

I consider my issue closed / solved.

On all machined I'm using Mate Desktop ver 1.26. on Fedora 35.
Openoffice 4.1 on Fedora 27 +
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] AOO Crashes After A Minute - Fedora 35

Post by John_Ha »

I am sure you hate it as much as I do when you answer your own question :crazy:

Thanks for letting us know the solution.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
Bidouille
Volunteer

Post by Bidouille »

jbkt23 wrote:Both machines have AOO 4.1.5 installed.
jbkt23 wrote:causing the crash and it is the " Check for Open Office Updates" feature
Indeed, this bug has been fixed since 4.1.8 build and later: https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=127789
roddy

Post by roddy »

I have AOO 4.1.12 running on macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra) and the green icon upper right kept appearing. When clicked, the app would not quit. Selecting "Check for updates" causes the same issue. I had to force quit and in Preferences>OpenOffice>Online Update, had to uncheck everything. Having auto-check updates and downloads off now doesn't freeze up the app.
In God's Harmony

macOS 13.2
OpenOffice 4.1.13