Can't open a file since AOO update, contains ####…

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
NRobert

Can't open a file since AOO update, contains ####…

Post by NRobert »

I read that Bit Defender can make .odt files not open, so I uninstalled Bit Defender and AOO, restarted the computer, and then reinstalled just AOO. I read about going into file explorer and showing hidden items to see the .~lock.MyFile.odt# file. It's there, but only when the file in question is open. Deleting the .~lock.MyFile.odt# file doesn't do anything. Text doesn't come back from the repeated #########. I close the file, and reopen the .odt, but still get the same ####### and the .~lock.MyFile.odt# file reappears. :crazy:
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Clarified topic's subject that it is a single file with the #### problem
Open Office 4 on Windows 11
FJCC

Re: Can't open files since new update

Post by FJCC »

If the file is showing only # symbols, it is corrupted and cannot be recovered. Are you seeing this on one file or on many?
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
NRobert

Post by NRobert »

Was only using it for one file... Had this happen before and managed to recover the file as a .pdf. Was looking to try to do that again.
Open Office 4 on Windows 11
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the original file is showing as ###, unless you have already made a PDF of it, I think you will be out of luck.

Usually the #### and the ASCII selection prompt tell that OpenOffice cannot understand the file. This can arise because of file corruption, often caused by overhasty closing of a laptop lid, or powering off of a desktop computer, or by program or computer crash, all of which do not permit the file to be written correctly to disk.

The damage is possibly due to over-hasty power-off of computer or closure of laptop lid, before the file housekeeping has been written to disk, or to computer or program crash, or perhaps to Windows forcing an update while you had an OpenOffice file open.

Do not let your computer sleep/hibernate with a document open. When you have formally closed down the computer, wait five or ten seconds before pulling the power lead or closing the laptop lid, to allow the internal buffers of the hard drive flush to disk

As soon as possible try the methods in this tutorial
See [Tutorial] How to find and un-delete AOO temporary files for detailed instructions on how to

a) use Previous Versions (W7 and later) to recover previous versions of the file (is there something similar on MacOS and Linux?);

b) recover your file as it was when you last opened or saved it, or as it was when it was last saved with AutoRecovery;

c) find previous versions of the file in the folder it is located in, but which have since been deleted;

d) un-delete the temporary files AOO wrote while you were editing the file, and then deleted. This will recover your file as it was when you last opened or you last saved it.

There will be nothing usable in your damaged file - waste no time with it. Try the recovery methods above.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS