MDB conversion

Discuss the database features
dB2hear

MDB conversion

Post by dB2hear »

After completing a worksheet in calc., I saved it after a screen I did not recognize appeared. It has been saved in the MDB format, and I cannot open it now. How can I convert it into a form that Open Office will recognize? All help appreciated. I'm currently running windows 7, and have not had any difficulties over the past 10 years.
Open office 4.1.5 on Windows 7
dB2hear

Re: MDB conversion

Post by dB2hear »

At the end of the process, I thought I did what I always have done - went to Save as, typed in the name of the file and hit enter. now it is listed as a PCBK file in the MDB format. I know it wasn't a smooth closing of the file, but I am uncertain what else I did to create this problem.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

dB2hear wrote:At the end of the process, I thought I did what I always have done - went to Save as, typed in the name of the file and hit enter. now it is listed as a PCBK file in the MDB format. I know it wasn't a smooth closing of the file, but I am uncertain what else I did to create this problem.
It works exactly as with MS Access. You create a database document and connect it to some existing database you have a driver for.

On a "normal Windows system" it should work like this:
File>New > Database...
[X] Connect to existing database
Type: MS Access
Specify the mdb file
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
dB2hear

Post by dB2hear »

At this point, it does not open up or give me access to the file. What do I need to do to get this to open so that I can save it in the proper format?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

On a Windows 7 box it should be possible to connect a Base document with an mdb file. May be you need to install some addition to Windows 7. I don't know.
There is also a JDBC driver for MS Access: http://ucanaccess.sourceforge.net/site.html

You can open the file with MS Access and dump all data into Excel or text files, dBase files, whatever. Then import the data into a database of a different kind. I would NOT store mdb data in a Base file. I would always keep the mdb database.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice