[Solved] Double words printed using Mail Merge

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Codythebest

[Solved] Double words printed using Mail Merge

Post by Codythebest »

Hi Everyone,

I use OpenOffice to print labels and envelopes.
It worked normally until recently.
Each words now are printed/viewed twice.
So if I want to print JOHN SMITH on my envelope from my excel/database, I have now JOHNJOHN SMITHSMITH

Anyone knows why? What I do wrong?
Thanks
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator; Recent Microsnot changes to XLSX seem to be incompatible with OpenOffice
OpenOffice 2.4 on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: Double words printed using Mail Merge

Post by RoryOF »

To confirm: you are definitely getting JOHNJOHN SMITHSMITH, not JOHN SMITH JOHN SMITH?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Codythebest

Post by Codythebest »

Correct. JohnJohn SmithSmith, not John Smith John Smith, I confirm.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I can't help any further; I asked because JOHN SMITH JOHN SMITH would probably be a duplicate field; I don't have any mailmerge experience, so I suggest you wait for more informed help.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Codythebest

Post by Codythebest »

RoryOF wrote:I can't help any further; I asked because JOHN SMITH JOHN SMITH would probably be a duplicate field; I don't have any mailmerge experience, so I suggest you wait for more informed help.
Thank you.
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
Codythebest wrote:So if I want to print JOHN SMITH on my envelope from my excel/database, I have now JOHNJOHN SMITHSMITH
I presume you are using the Mail Merge feature. This requires a template (your envelope layout) and a data source which is connected through Base. If you are using an XLSX spreadsheet as your data source in Base, you may have the problem reported below. It appears that recent Microsnot changes to the XLSX format are incompatible with OpenOffice. If you need to work with XLSX format, use Excel. OpenOffice is not a clone of Excel.
Duplication of content within cells

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).