[Solved] Prevent logo from printing on unused labels

Using them, Making them, Finding them
webDing

[Solved] Prevent logo from printing on unused labels

Post by webDing »

A long, long time ago I designed a template that printed out addresses on labels in a somewhat clever way. Now it doesn't work after I was forced to switch to the lasted version of OO due do a computer crash.

To save on expensive labels I didn't want our company logo on those labels that were "left over", in other words those that didn't get an address printed on them. If only one label was printed the logo didn't get printed over the entire sheet.

I now have absolutely no idea how I did this, other than that I had to add a [space] in a field after the last record in the database (calc document), that was the "thing" that stopped Writer from printing the logo on all the remaining blank labels.

Something must have changed because this doesn't work anymore. Does anybody know how this could be done in the latest version?
 Edit: Changed subject, was I must have been brilliant...then. 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged [Solved]. Topic locked to encourage others with similiar questions to create their own topic. -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 8.1
erbsenzahl
Volunteer

Re: I must have been brilliant...then.

Post by erbsenzahl »

Your problem is described in a German OO-wiki page: http://www.ooowiki.de/EtikettenSparen.html
(In translation like: HowToSaveLabels)

Probably you are able to translate or will find anyone to do so?
Your query seems to be solvable. Perhaps an English manual exists that contains similar information about the topic.

Good luck!
LibreOffice current versions 7 and OpenOffice 4.1.15
on LinuxMint 20 - 21 Mate, W10-64 pro
webDing

Post by webDing »

Thanks I'll look into it! :-D
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

webDing wrote:Now it doesn't work after I was forced to switch to the lasted version of OO due do a computer crash.
If you think it will work with an older version of OpenOffice, just install that one.
Selection of old versions for download
Selection of old versions for download
webDing wrote:If only one label was printed the logo didn't get printed over the entire sheet. I now have absolutely no idea how I did this, …
Review the method in your solved topic from 2014: [Solved] Avoid printing logo on empty/blank merged labels
You can find your earlier posts with the View your posts link near the top of this page.
webDing wrote:Does anybody know how this could be done in the latest version?
Based on the idea in erbsenzahl's link I created this 202202102151.ott template with my logo at the top and some fields below it. When you open it, Writer will ask about links (say yes) and then create a new document. File → Print → Form letter? → Yes → Records → From → 1 to 5 → OK. I am only printing 5 labels even though the page has room for more. The unused labels are not spoiled with the logo even though it appears on every label in the template.
202202102151.ott
Template with logo and database fields
(42.87 KiB) Downloaded 233 times
Logo printed only on five labels
Logo printed only on five labels
The logo's picture is placed in a paragraph which contains a Hidden Paragraph field. The hide condition is Bibliography.biblio.Identifier == Bibliography.biblio.Title which is false for the records being printed but true when there is no more data to print. Help for this type of field says: To use this function, choose OpenOffice - Preferences - OpenOffice Writer - Formatting Aids and clear the Fields: Hidden paragraph check box. To see this field in my document you will want to change the font to perhaps 12. It is set to 2 so the text doesn't take much room between the logo and the database fields below it.
 Edit: I updated the attachment. The comma which was between the <Author> and <Publisher> database fields in the master (upper left) section needed to be a Hidden Text field to prevent it from printing on the unused labels. The condition for the Hidden Text field is the same as the one used for the Hidden Paragraph field which prevents the logo from printing. 
 Edit: It might be easier to put the logo, the database fields, and the comma all in one paragraph and use a single Hidden Paragraph field to control printing. I haven't tested this method. 
If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
webDing

Re: Prevent logo from printing on unused labels

Post by webDing »

Brilliant, thank you soooo much, I'm pretty sure I did it that way, many years ago. I found my old post about it but I didn't describe what did as well as you did!

Thanks again, you have saved me lot of time (and labels)!