OpenOffice vs LibreOffice

Talk about anything at all....
PeteTheGolfer

OpenOffice vs LibreOffice

Post by PeteTheGolfer »

I've been using LibreOffice for over a year. It seems to be very similar to OpenOffice. How do they differ?
OpenOffice 5.1.4.2 (x64) on Windows 10
RoryOF

Re: OpenOffice vs LibreOffice

Post by RoryOF »

More features and some different displays on LibreOffice; better stability on OpenOffice.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
saam123

Post by saam123 »

[color=#000000]Pete[/color][/url][url=http://www.Infantigo.xyz/][color=#000000]TheGolfer[/color] wrote:I've been using LibreOffice for over a year. It seems to be very similar to OpenOffice. How do they differ?
I would go for open office because of its simplicity and user friendly!
Last edited by saam123 on Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

saam123 wrote:I would go for open office because of its simplicity and user friendly!
:?:
LO spent a lot of resources to make LO more user friendly than AOO based on user opinions. If you are used to AOO, most of these efforts are wasted because the changes are contrary to what you are familiar with. But from a new user's perspective I do not see where AOO is more user friendly than AOO.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

The LO has a little bit higher compatibility with the foreign fileformats like the MS binary /doc, xls.../, and the MS OOXML /docx, xlsx.../ format.
But strongly recommended to use the native International Standard ODF fileformats with both open source office suites.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Zizi64 wrote:The LO has a little bit higher compatibility with the foreign fileformats like the MS binary /doc, xls.../,
Can you prove this statement? In my experience, this is generally not true: sometimes you get better results with AOO, sometimes with LO.
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Villeroy wrote:If you are used to AOO, most of these efforts are wasted because the changes are contrary to what you are familiar with.
I would not say so. There have been actually two significant changes in the LO GUI: the start screen and the side panel. But the latter was ported from AOO. So, still no big difference (and the LO start screen is a really good improvement).
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

esperantisto wrote:
Villeroy wrote:If you are used to AOO, most of these efforts are wasted because the changes are contrary to what you are familiar with.
I would not say so. There have been actually two significant changes in the LO GUI: the start screen and the side panel. But the latter was ported from AOO. So, still no big difference (and the LO start screen is a really good improvement).
I struggle with changed main menues, submenues, constantly changing mnemonics in German and English versions.
One thing they definitively messed up completely is the date input.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Zizi64 wrote:
The LO has a little bit higher compatibility with the foreign fileformats like the MS binary /doc, xls.../,
Can you prove this statement? In my experience, this is generally not true: sometimes you get better results with AOO, sometimes with LO.
- The Libreoffice CAN SAVE into OOXML format. (Unfortunatelly, the MS not support the Strict version of the OOXML Standard.)
- You can find many posts in this forum, when the problem was: the AOO can not open a specific foreign type document (MS binary, OOXML, Works, WordPerfect) files, etc...), and the LO can.

And yes, I agree it: There are cases, when the AOO is better for opening a foreign fileformat, therefore I have installed both of the two open source office suites, but me (personally), and our company prefers the LibreOffice.
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Villeroy wrote: I struggle with changed main menues, submenues, constantly changing mnemonics in German and English versions.
I see. I use mainly Russian or English GUI (and my set of shortcuts for most frequent actions) and might have not mentioned something. Really, I still switch between the two programs without much problem.
Zizi64 wrote: - The Libreoffice CAN SAVE into OOXML format.
And, again in my experience, in approximately 30% of cases a DOCX file saved from LO is broken and does not open neither in LO nor in MSO 2007/2010. Thus, if I need to make a file available for a MSO user, I save it to DOC. It is worth mentioning, by the way, that even in LO when you choose File → Send → Email as Microsoft Word document from the menu, it will produce a DOC, not a DOCX file, which is good in order to be on the safe side.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

We are using approx. 98% of cases the native International Standard ODF file formats. There is not better alternative or solution. :-)

And we send the documents in PDF (when not needed to edit it) or in hybrid PDF format (it is a feature of the LO), and only a few of cases in 'binary MS'/'OOXML' formats.
Elverwarth
Banned

Post by Elverwarth »

I will go for openoffice, not that I've been using it for our company, but for it's being user-friendly and stability we know how to use it inside and out.
[b][url=https://www.agreenorigin.com/]Keeping the earth a safety habitat[/url][/b]