Is there a virus attacking OpenOffice ??

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
mikesil

Is there a virus attacking OpenOffice ??

Post by mikesil »

It's the only explanation I can think of.

Starting yesterday, my Open Office files (Write, Calc, Impress) refused to load. I get the Open Office splash, then a blank grey screen at the point where I expect the progressive green bar at the bottom. After a few minutes Open Office goes "Not Responding".

A few more items of info:
  • Through the day it extended to more and more files, ie. first just a couple, then more, finally all files refuse to load
  • Anti-Malware, Microsoft Defender say I'm virus free (however, they've missed things before)
  • Running Windows 10 for about a month now. No problems.
  • Already tried: download OO 4.1.1 and reinstall.
  • Files can be loaded with Excel, but I lose all formulas, and unique formats (will be extremely time consuming to convert 5 years worth of files)
    [+]Files can be loaded with gsheets but that is unacceptable due to lack of features.
Anyone else seeing this?
Michael
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10
RusselB

Re: Is there a virus attacking Open Office ??

Post by RusselB »

Try resetting your user profile as described at viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
Uninstalling/reinstalling Open Office does not affect the user profile.

You are not the first person to complain about how Open Office works under Windows 10, but please note that the current version of Open Office, which is 4.1.1, was released before Windows 10 came out, thus, to my knowledge, there was no way to check for compatibility problems.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Re: Is there a virus attacking Open Office ??

Post by RoryOF »

Try also starting TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice Processes shown on TM's Processes tab.

You may also, with OpenOffice not running, need to enable viewing of hidden files and delete any files with names like

Code: Select all

.~lock.MyFile.odt#
These are lock files used for housekeeping, of size a few hundred bytes, but their owning file is several KB in size; do not get confused between them! If OO has not been starting/closing correctly they may be left and will prevent the file(s) being edited.
 Edit: Did you, before this problem started, have a program or system crash? If so, then the TaskManager approach is best as parts of OpenOffice may have been left in the system, which parts prevent clean startup. But the TM approach won't hurt anyway. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS