typing on imported document

Discuss the word processor
theglo123

typing on imported document

Post by theglo123 »

I am trying to import a template, and I have, but cannot figure how to type information on it.....
Last edited by RoryOF on Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected typo in Subject [RoryOF, Moderator]
openoffice 3.4.1 windows 7
acknak

Re: typing on imported document

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

What is the template? Can we try it--is it available from a web page?

Are you sure the template is not read-only (check the top title bar of the document window). Sometimes downloaded files are protected against being changed.

What happens when you try to type?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
theglo123

Post by theglo123 »

The template is one that I scanned from a hard copy.....It is a jpeg, and I am wondering if that is the problem, I do not know how to change it to word or text. When I try to type on it, text goes in middle of page instead of where I clicked.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

That is correct. The scan of the page is effectively a picture of the page and what you are doing is placing text on top of the picture. To turn the scan into editable text, you need to use an OCR application. These often come with the scanner software on the CD; more complex OCR applications are commercial. For Windows there may be some downloadable freeware/shareware applications, but I am out of touch with Windows and cannot direct you to any.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok, I see what you mean.

OO Writer isn't designed to type text over an image, like filling out a paper form.

You can put the image "behind" the text by assigning it to the page background, but then you still can't just type text freely at any point on the page. The text will start at the top left and flow down the page, regardless of the forum layout.

There is a mode called "direct cursor" that I understand is meant to allow free typing but I haven't tried it myself.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
theglo123

Post by theglo123 »

Thanks for the help, I will research the OCR...
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It may be that you will be able to position your text over the existing text (but over it, not replacing it) by careful use of the spacing controls in the Paragraph styles in use, or by repeated Enter keys and inserted spaces, if this is only a one off task and ultimate quality is not required.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

When searching for OCR software, I strongly recommend that you try to use one that is designed for your scanner make, if not model.
Generic OCR programs are available, but usually have some glitches when trying to use them with a specific scanner.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
theglo123

Post by theglo123 »

Thanks I will....