Auto inserting data onto multiple forms

Discuss the word processor
subasc

Auto inserting data onto multiple forms

Post by subasc »

Dear All.

i have just joined the group and need some help as i just started using OO.

Could someone please advice or point me to the right direction on how to create a filed (example: First Name, Last Name) and as soon as the user key in the data it automatically migrates the data to page 2 of a PDF form and if this data is required on page 3 then this data will also be migrated automatically.

i have been searching the internet and was not able to get the answers.

Thank you
Subas
OpenOffice 3.1
RusselB

Re: <NewBie>Need Help in auto inserting data onto multiple f

Post by RusselB »

I don't believe what you're asking for can be done as simply as you're describing.
Based on what you have posted, it sounds like a database would be the proper place to start, though be warned, the learning curve for Base, which is the front end of the database (or what the user works with) is quite steep.
Once the database is completed, then a report can be generated with the information you want/need, and, if necessary, a PDF can be generated from that report.
A PDF is, simply, an electronic printout, similar to what you get from a printer, but as an electronic document rather than sheets of paper.

You used First Name and Last Name in your example. Is there going to be any other data associated with this information? If so, please give us an idea as to what other information there'll be?
Possibilities that are common in conjunction with names are: DOB (Date of Birth), Title, Phone #, SIN (or SSN in the US), Address, E-mail address, etc.

The more types of data you're going to have, the more likely a database will be the preferred method.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
subasc

Post by subasc »

Dear Russel.

Thanks for the info. There will be other fields that will be associated. Thank you for the explanation at least I know I have to do some more research in database as this is my first time creating such forms using OO.

Once again thank you.

Regards
Subas
OpenOffice 3.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This can be done using Fields in a Writer document before that document is migrated to PDF. If this is of interest, you should study Chapter 14 of the Writer guide linked off
https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Docume ... apters_ODT
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
subasc

Post by subasc »

Dear Rory.

I had viewed that during my Google search.
It's a bit extreme for a newbie.
I still have a lot to learn.
Thank you for the info and guidance.

Regards
Subas
OpenOffice 3.1