[Solved] Check for update causes freeze

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
known

[Solved] Check for update causes freeze

Post by known »

I have a MAC Pro and using open office. My version is 4.1.10. The program tells me i have not downloaded the latest version but when I use the link, it freezes (the color wheel goes round and round) and I have to force close. When it opens sometimes the color wheel is still turning and I cannot access the recovered documents nor open new ones.
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Wed May 29, 2024 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] Disable "Check for Updates" -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open office 4.1.10 Mac Pro
FJCC

Re: downloading update causes freeze on Mac Pro

Post by FJCC »

OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
MrProgrammer

Re: Downloading update causes freeze on Mac Pro

Post by MrProgrammer »

known wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:16 pm … when I use the link, it freezes (the color wheel goes round and round) and I have to force close.
Issue 128535 - MacOS: Application crashes 30 seconds after opening if "check for automatic updates" is turned on
Given that this issue is open with no solution I recommend that you disable option OpenOffice → Preferences → OpenOffice → Online Update → Check for updates automatically and leave it off. I see little value in this option. All it does is the download, which you can do yourself from FJCC's link above in less than a minute. It can't install an update for you.
Q03: How do I install OpenOffice on a Mac?
Q50: The automatic updates feature is not working. How do I fix it?

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).