[Solved] Budget with recurring income/expenses

Discuss the spreadsheet application
PixelComposer

[Solved] Budget with recurring income/expenses

Post by PixelComposer »

So i use to be pretty good at spreadsheets back in the Lotus 1-2-3 days but i never dealt with Dates. I'm wanting to create a budget spreadsheet and im wondering how i would go about calcuating deposits via a Date formatted cell. If anyone knows a discord channel that might help aswell as i might have more questions?

Edit: Changed subject, was Spreadsheet question 
Make your post understandable by others 
-- MrProgrammer, forum moderator 
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Mon May 06, 2024 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
OpenOffice 4.1.15
Windows 11 Pro 23H2
FJCC

Re: Spreadsheet question

Post by FJCC »

Can you upload a small file demonstrating what you want to do? Click Post Reply and look for the Attachments tab just below the box where you type a response.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
PixelComposer

Re: Spreadsheet question

Post by PixelComposer »

Ok so i get x certain amount twice a month. and then y every monday. f comes in on the 1st of the month. The reoccuring charges are to the right. I can probobly figure out how to deduct those but am unsure how to schedule the incoming based on every month?
Attachments
Monthly_Budget.ods
(10.11 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
OpenOffice 4.1.15
Windows 11 Pro 23H2
MrProgrammer

Re: Budget question

Post by MrProgrammer »

PixelComposer wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:23 pm I'm wanting to create a budget spreadsheet …
There must be dozens of topics about this sort of idea. You might benefit by reading them. You can search for them as well as I. The search box is at the upper-right of every forum page. Some probably will refer to "budget' or to "bank statement" or "personal finance". Unless you are fairly familiar with spreadsheets, I don't think it is a good idea create one for a budget, though you're welcome to try.

There are applications like GnuCash which have all of this programmed for you using a database. Of course you will need to read their documentation. But, depending on your skills, this might be quicker than learning how to do this yourself with Calc or with Base. They will also have features which may be helpful for you but which will be difficult to do in Calc without a great deal of work. If you don't like GnuCash, which is downloaded about 7000 times a week, there are plenty of others, and some, including GnuCash, are free to use. I don't personally use any of them.

PixelComposer wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:06 pm Ok so i get x certain amount twice a month. and then y every monday. f comes in on the 1st of the month. The reoccuring charges are to the right. I can probobly figure out how to deduct those but am unsure how to schedule the incoming based on every month?
Thank you for your attachment. If you want to do this yourself, perhaps you can use something like my attachment. Columns D through I are formulas, not manually entered data. Columns J through L are for non-recurring expenses. Data in rows past the current date is hidden via Format → Conditional Formatting. Read about this feature in Help → Index or in User Guides (PDF) or searching for topics about it in the Calc Forum.
202404292113.ods
Sample budget with recurring income/expenses
(26.44 KiB) Downloaded 14 times

If you only want to display rows with activity:
• Click cell C2 - DayTotal
• Data → Filter → Standard Filter → FieldName:DayTotal → Condition:<> → Value:0 → OK

To show all rows:
• Click cell C2 - DayTotal
• Data → Filter → Remove Filter

The attached spreadsheet uses styles. Styles are required for conditional formatting and generally simplify applying formatting to cells.

PixelComposer wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:23 pm I never dealt with Dates.
[Tutorial] Calc date formulas

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.

[Tutorial] Ten concepts that every Calc user should know
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).