[Solved] "Online Update Options" in Linux Builds of LibreOffice?

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
LastUnicorn

[Solved] "Online Update Options" in Linux Builds of LibreOffice?

Post by LastUnicorn »

I'm on a Windows system and using the Windows build of LibreOffice Still. In Windows LibreOffice there are "Online Update Options" as shown here:

Windows LibreOffice - Online Update Options
Windows LibreOffice - Online Update Options
Online Update Options.png (23.03 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
I have an issue with this in that the update notifications check for updates to LibreOffice Fresh — which is no good to me when I like to use Still. I went to LibreOffice Bugzilla to see if there was anything there and found this report: Bug 153101 - Add option to disable Update Notifications for Technological Enthusiast ("fresh") Releases.

Comment 2 in that report seems to Be implying that Online Update Options for Linux builds of LibreOffice differ from what is on offer to Windows users. So my question is, is there a difference between Windows/Linux builds for this feature of LibreOffice? If it is different a screenshot of the Linux build options for this would be great.
Last edited by LastUnicorn on Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
RoryOF

Re: "Online Update Options" in Linux Builds of LibreOffice?

Post by RoryOF »

I don't make any serious use of LibreOffice, but for your information here is the same screen from installed LibreOffice 7.2.2.2

Libreffice_update_screen.png
Libreffice_update_screen.png (63.34 KiB) Viewed 3425 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
LastUnicorn

Re: "Online Update Options" in Linux Builds of LibreOffice?

Post by LastUnicorn »

Thanks very much Rory, appreciated.
Windows 10 Pro. x64
LibreOffice (Still) 7.6.5.2 (x64) Fully installed to system
LibreOffice (Still) Portable 7.6.5.2 (x86) [PortableApps]
floris v
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] "Online Update Options" in Linux Builds of LibreOffice?

Post by floris v »

They are very different, dependent on the flavor of Linux and how it's installed. For instance, in Ubuntu 22 LibreOffice is now maintained by Snap, and updates are handled automatically. The Online update isn't even an option on that dialog box. Which is bad - you will get the fresh version no matter what.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Will have to check later today on my xubuntu machine but I think I installed the deb version instead of using the snap, to have more control.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Maybe somebody should suggest to the people at Snap to host both the still and fresh flavors.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

If they could agree on a single package format, that would be great also. There is at least flatpak, snap, appimage. They add custom directories in the home folder and/or the root folder, that breaks the point of the /opt directory and my partition strategy.
:evil:
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10