[Issue] Changing value of cell changes formula in another??

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Joseph DuVivier

[Issue] Changing value of cell changes formula in another??

Post by Joseph DuVivier »

In Calc can changing the content of one cell actually change the formula (not just the value returned) in another cell? I wrote an ods spreadsheet which is failing because, when I change a value in one cell, it actually changes a constant in a formula in another cell. I didn't think this was possible. Interestingly this seems only to happen in one case where I copied the formula to a cell and not in many other cases in which I copied the same formula to other cells.

The formula changes from:
{=IF(CP35<>"";CP35;IF(DV36<>"";DV36;IF(SUM(DQ34:DS36="")=0;"E";IF(SUM(DQ34:DS36="")=1;IF(DQ34="";1;IF(DR34="";2;IF(DS34="";3;IF(DQ35="";4;IF(DR35="";5;IF(DS35="";6;IF(DQ36="";7;IF(DR36="";8;IF(DS36="";9;"")))))))));""))))}
to:
{=IF(CP35<>"";CP35;IF(DV36<>"";DV36;IF(SUM(DQ34:DS36="")=0;"E";IF(SUM(DQ34:DS36="")=1;IF(DQ34="";1;IF(DR34="";2;IF(DS34="";3;IF(DQ35="";4;IF(DR35="";5;IF(DS35="";9;IF(DQ36="";7;IF(DR36="";8;IF(DS36="";9;"")))))))));""))))}

I.e. the "6" just after {DS35="";} changes to a "9". This occurs when the value of DS35 is changed (indirectly). Interestingly <cntl> Z does not undo the formula change.

I tried this using OpenOffice 3.4.1 on both a WIndows XP laptop and and OSX Mac. Same result.

Attached is the spreadsheet. Most cells are protected to prevent accidental changes, but there is no password. Just follow the instructions in the first cell to replicate the problem.

Thanks to anyone who can help.
Attachments
Sudoku minimal test 2 ok.ods
problem with spontaneously changing formula - no password to unprotect
(48.42 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP and Windows 7
Charlie Young
Volunteer

Re: Changing value of cell changes formula in another??

Post by Charlie Young »

I suppose it must be some subtle bit of corruption in an extremely complex spreadsheet. Note that the formula in your example is in DV35, not DV32, and the cell to change is E11, not E8. You must have inserted 3 rows and forgotten to change these references. If I copy that formula by going to DV35, hit F2 Ctrl+Home Ctrl+ End, then Ctrl + C to copy, then hit ESC, then backspace to delete the formula, then F2 Ctrl+V to reenter it, and then Ctrl+Shift+Enter (since it's an array formula), the problem disappears. It would be nice to find the exact problem, and I'm still looking.

Meanwhile...
Jimi Hendrix wrote:Now, if 6 turned out to be 9,
I don't mind, I don't mind.
If all the hippies cut off their hair,
I don't care, I don't care.
Dig, 'cos I got my own world to live through
And I ain't gonna copy you.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows XP
Charlie Young
Volunteer

Post by Charlie Young »

I haven't found the exact problem yet, but I think I'm making some progress. I'll report on what I've found so far to try to help others who may be struggling with this.

No, it isn't haunted by the ghost of Jimi Hendrix (I don't think).

First of all, the spreadsheet was saved with the evil Tools > Options > Calc > Calculate > Automatically find column and row labels checked. Unchecking this and saving the spreadsheet doesn't by itself fix the problem, but I suspect that this is somehow the source of the difficulty. Some discoveries:

1) Changing the 9 to a 6 in E11 changes the "6" to a "9" in CQ34.

2) The changing number in the formula in DV35 will change to any number, even negative and fractional ones, entered into cell CP35, but CP35 itself contains a formula which ultimately traces back to J11. So initially at least, the DV35 formula number changes to any numeric entry in J11, although at first j11 is blank!

3) So, if I enter in J11 the formula

Code: Select all

=PI()
the formula in DV35 becomes

=IF(CP35<>"";CP35;IF(DV36<>"";DV36;IF(SUM(DQ34:DS36="")=0;"E";IF(SUM(DQ34:DS36="")=1;IF(DQ34="";1;IF(DR34="";2;IF(DS34="";3;IF(DQ35="";4;IF(DR35="";5;IF(DS35="";3.14159265358979;IF(DQ36="";7;IF(DR36="";8;IF(DS36="";9;"")))))))));""))))
This is certainly very interesting.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows XP
Charlie Young
Volunteer

Post by Charlie Young »

I think I've got this simplified to the point where the bug (it is a bug, I'm pretty sure), is more transparent. I now do not think it has anything to do with Tools > Options > Calc > Calculate > Automatically find column and row labels (though that option is still to be used advisedly).

Cell A1 starts out blank.

B1 starts with the array formula (I omit the curly brackets here)

=IF(A1<>"";A3;IF(A2="";6;""))
A3 starts with the number 9.

Enter 9 in A1, and the formula in B1 changes to

=IF(A1<>"";A3;IF(A2="";9;""))
But note that it actually seems to be the case that the formula result (9) is what is appearing in the THEN part of the second IF statement, since if I then change A3 to another number, say 2, the formula changes to

=IF(A1<>"";A3;IF(A2="";2;""))
The file is attached. The numbers 6 and 9 are irrelevant, but note that the formula will not change the THEN to a text value if I enter such a thing in A3.

Sometimes the behavior reverts to "normal," and I have to do File > Reload to get it to act up again.

I post it to be sure others see the same behavior, and maybe note some quirks that I have missed.
Attachments
if6was9.ods
Formula result reflected in formula.
(7.29 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

Nice work!

I see the same problem testing your sample sheet with AOO4RC on Linux--it looks like a pretty stable bug.
Sometimes the behavior reverts to "normal," and I have to do File > Reload to get it to act up again.
It does this for me any time I edit and re-enter the formula (without actually changing the formula, that is). Maybe it's something in the way the formula is saved/loaded as a file that's causing the problem.
 Edit: PS: 
But if I edit & re-enter the formula, then save the "modified" file and reload, now it shows the problem again. So it seems to be something in saving or loading the sheet that leads to the problem.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Charlie Young
Volunteer

Post by Charlie Young »

It can be simplified further.

Again, start out with A1 blank, then in A2 put the array formula

=IF(A1<>"";A3;6)
Start A3 off as 9 (or any other number), then enter something in A1.

It seems to have something to do with the fact that it's an array formula, but I don't quite see what it could be exactly.
Attachments
if6was9_v2.ods
Version 2
(7.21 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

Nice. Works for me, too.

A1 has to be empty and after entering the array formula and the file has to be saved and reloaded to see the change.

This formula also "works" for me: =IF(A1;A3;6)

but not AND(A1;A3;6) or OR(A1;A3;6).

So maybe it's something specific to IF?
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

I can't repeat that behavior except when both cells are selected, as detailed in my response in the other forum. Clearly not desirable behavior, though, so the "bug" tag fits.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Joseph DuVivier

Post by Joseph DuVivier »

Thank you guys for looking into this problem. It's good to know I wasn't entirely crazy. I was able to replicate your results using the if6was9_v2.ods file. Also the problem doesn't appear if =IF(A1<>"";A3;6) is not entered as an array formula. Also it does seem to be true that the cell of the first argument of the IF has to be empty and the file has to be saved and reloaded to reproduce the change in the third argument of the IF.
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP and Windows 7
acknak

Post by acknak »

Anyone up for submitting a bug report?
Charlie Young
Volunteer

Post by Charlie Young »

acknak wrote:Anyone up for submitting a bug report?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows XP
acknak

Post by acknak »

Nice! I added a comment to get on the cc list.

Thanks, Charlie!