EPS-Graphics

Discuss the word processor
Meindl

EPS-Graphics

Post by Meindl »

Dear OO-Writer Community,

I have the following problem:

I inserted an EPS-Picture in a new OpenOffice 3.4.1 document on my MAC OSX Mountain-Lion. Everything works fine.

When I open this Document in Open Office 3.4.1 for Windows, I do not see the EPS-Picture. Instead of the picture I get the following Message in red color:

Title: (filename.eps)
Creator: Adobe Illustrator(R) 8.0
CrationDate: 11/6/12 10:12 AM

Does anyone know a solution for this problem? I have to use a vector graphic format, so it would be no solution to convert the graphic in JPEG, etc. !

Thanks a lot,

Korbinian
Openoffice 3.4.1 on MAC OS X Mountain Lion
Openoffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: EPS-Graphics

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There are several topics about EPS format here. This is not a very well supported format in AOO IIRC.
Can you export it to PNG or perhaps SVG?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Meindl

Post by Meindl »

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

I will try this and write my experience tomorrow!

Korbinian

P.S. I used the search, but can't find any topic searching for "EPS" in all forums (not even my own)! Very odd!
Openoffice 3.4.1 on MAC OS X Mountain Lion
Openoffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
Jan_J

Post by Jan_J »

Meindl wrote:[...] can't find any topic searching for "EPS" in all forums (not even my own)! Very odd!
Probably "EPS" phrase is too short for search engine. Try words: Import PostScript.
JJ ∙ https://forum.openoffice.org/pl/
LO (7.6) ∙ Python (3.11|3.10) ∙ Unicode 15 ∙ LᴬTEX 2ε ∙ XML ∙ Unix tools ∙ Linux (Rocky|CentOS)
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Indeed. The forum doesn't index less than 4 characters words.
You will have better luck with the custome search engine on the forum index page: http://forum.openoffice.org/ (field on the right, you can even limit the search to the forums only).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

The red text in place of your graphic is usually a sign that the eps file has some problem with its preview image--either it's missing or it's in some format that isn't supported. Since OOo cannot render the vector graphics and the preview image is broken, you get the red text as a fallback: it means that the file is there but OOo can't display it on the screen.

EPS is not a great format for OOo. The main limitation (beside the screen rendering) is that OOo cannot export the vector graphic to PDF. The best you can ever get in a pdf is the preview image from the eps file. With that limitation, you may as well convert the eps to an image with decent resolution and use that instead of the eps--that will at least work everywhere.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any drastically better alternative to eps if you can't use an image.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
nomnex

Post by nomnex »

Not sure if it helps the OP but, as a workaround, I embed DIA diagrams as EPS file in LO writer documents. I print to file (.ps) and I convert the postscript file to PDF using ps2pdf.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Oh, right, that's a good workaround for getting a pdf. I forgot about that path--good suggestion!

Of course, that's out for the current release(s) of AOO, as it has stopped writing Postscript when you print "to file" (at least on Linux). Linux is switching to using pdf for print files and AOO is following that. I don't know if that applies to AOO on Windows.
nomnex

Post by nomnex »

There is a workaround mentioned here: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/glo ... 16294.html

EDIT: after browsing a bit more, it does not seem so bad. See an excerpt of a discussion: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.do ... evel/19448

"By the way, there is an important difference within PDF printing and PDF exporting. PDF printing supports EPS embedding (fortunately, like the old default PostScript printing), but PDF exports have contained only the bitmap preview of the original EPS images, yet. Is there any reason to limit EPS embedding to PDF printing, eg. PDF compatibility or different PDF creation mechanisms?"
peterroots
Volunteer

Post by peterroots »

Just a quick comment, it is still possible to print to file in .ps format (in linux at least) although it is not obvious as it defaults to .pdf
First you have to go to File>Printer Settings>Properties>Device and change the Printer Language type to a postscript version rather than pdf.
Now if you go to File>Print>Options>Print to file you get to save it as a .ps
You need a warped and devious mind to realise this is how to do it :?
LibreOffice 4.0.3 OpenSUSE 12.3 : OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 15
acknak

Post by acknak »

Good to know--I'd never have thought to look there.
peterroots
Volunteer

Post by peterroots »

I only found it answering another forum thread, thinking there has GOT to be a way to get a .ps file out of this!
LibreOffice 4.0.3 OpenSUSE 12.3 : OpenOffice 4 Linux Mint 15