[Solved] Bullet color

Discuss the word processor
ritergal

[Solved] Bullet color

Post by ritergal »

I want to use red bullets for a list with black text, and I want to use a character as the bullet, not one of the graphical ones. Is there a way to separate bullet color from text color?

I am familiar with changing the character, size, position and all that good stuff via the Format > Bullets and numbering menu, but I can't find a color control anywhere!

I finally managed to get my red bullets by highlighting the entire list, changing the color to red, then selectively changing individual words in each line to black, and working my way through that way. Inelegant, clumsy, tedious...okay for short, tiny lists, but not repeated use. Surely there is a better way!
Last edited by ritergal on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: Bullet color

Post by Hagar Delest »

Create a new character style (open the Stylist - F11 - right click the Default entry then New) give it a name and in the Font Effects tab, select the color you want. In the Options tab of the bullet & numbering dialog, in the Character style field, select your new style.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
ritergal

Re: Bullet color

Post by ritergal »

Hot diggety dog! It works slick as a whistle. Thanks Hagar. Or, more correctly, Merci beaucoup!
Paddy Landau

Re: [Solved] Bullet color

Post by Paddy Landau »

There is another way, but be aware that this changes the underlying character style (the default is style Bullets).

Highlight the bullet point itself. (Go to the start of the line, and then press the left arrow. That will highlight the bullet point.)

Then you can change the font, font size, colour and so forth using Format -> Character or, for some of them, the Formatting toolbar.
ritergal

Post by ritergal »

Paddy,
Just for the heck of it, I tried your alternate way. I was able to highlight the bullet, but there was no visible change with even a change as drastic as going to a webding font. The color stayed the same, line spacing, everything. I tried both toolbar and Formatting menu.

But that's okay. It's as easy to format a style as to tinker with each of four or more bullets, and way easier if you go to six. And you can change the style once and be done with it. Styles rule!

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. As you can tell from my initial workaround, I also spend time hacking through the woods, although I could get really spoiled with Hagar's expertise and elegant solutions! :P
Paddy Landau

Post by Paddy Landau »

ritergal wrote:I was able to highlight the bullet, but there was no visible change with even a change as drastic as going to a webding font. The color stayed the same, line spacing, everything. I tried both toolbar and Formatting menu.
How curious! I wonder if it's anything to do with the version; I did this last night with OO 3.0.1 on Linux Ubuntu Hardy.