[Solved] Password Protected File

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
denverdad

[Solved] Password Protected File

Post by denverdad »

I just tried to access a password protected text file that I've always been able to open (for about two years now). However, my iMac tells me:

If OpenOffice.org does not recognize the file type of the document that your want to open, try any of the following:
Select the import filter from the list.
Ensure that the file extension corresponds to the file type of the document. For example, a Microsoft Word document must have a (*.doc) extension for OpenOffice.org to use the appropriate filter. I didn't recognize any of the filters. I even turned off my firewall, but it didn't change anything.

I am allowed to open all my other OpenOffice files, but not this one. I assume because it is password protected. I recently installed the latest version of OpenOffice and I recently installed the latest Mac system (Mountain Lion), so I am assuming the problem lies between one of those installs. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Macintosh OS X, 10,8.2
denverdad

Re: Password Protected File

Post by denverdad »

Nevermind. For those with similar problems, I am told by someone on another forum that OpenOffice went through some major changes and support is no longer available. Apparently, the new version didn't include Mac's latest version (Mountain Lion), so my files are toast. Thanks.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

denverdad wrote:I am told by someone on another forum that OpenOffice went through some major changes and support is no longer available.
What do you mean? Do you have a link to that discussion?

I remember that AOO changed the encryption method at one point.
But I think that if you install a former version, you should be able to open your file. Then save it without password, install latest version, open the file and save it with a password again (try to save under another name first before overwriting the readable file).

Please add '[Solved]' at the beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

denverdad wrote:... I am told ... support is no longer available. Apparently, the new version didn't include Mac's latest version (Mountain Lion), so my files are toast. Thanks.
Complete nonsense as far as anything I know.

OOo expanded support for encrypted documents with AOO 3.4. The problem was/is that documents encrypted by AOO 3.4 or newer may not open under older versions of the suite.

All versions of MacOS are supported--as far as I know. Our Mac experts may have better information on that, but there should be no problem with any recent system.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
denverdad

Post by denverdad »

Okay, I'm totally confused and frustrated. I recently installed Mountain Lion and that (I think) is the problem. The "Gatekeeper" system won't let me do anything with my file. It won't open my password protected file, but will open all the others I created in OpenOffice. I even downloaded the old version of OpenOffice to see if it would let me open my file, then save it without a password. No luck. Anybody know what I can do? Thanks.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There is information on Gatekeeper at
http://macperformanceguide.com/Mountain ... gning.html
and
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5290

As far as I know (I'm not a Mac user) you can turn off Gatekeeper, which you might do until you had decrypted the file.
 Edit: What error message are you getting? 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
denverdad

Post by denverdad »

Thanks, but I went to these links yesterday and did what they suggested. Nothing worked. You can turn Gatekeeper off, but I still can't access my protected file. The message I get is a long, long list of filters. I tried all the OpenOffice ones to no avail.
denverdad

Post by denverdad »

I just deleted OpenOffice completely. Then downloaded the latest version. It didn't solve the problem. UGH.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If the message is about ASCII filters it is probable that your file is corrupted. Have you a backup?
denverdad

Post by denverdad »

I opened this file everyday with no problems until now. It seems like it started after I downloaded the OpenOffice update last week. No, there's no backup. If I had one I wouldn't have this problem.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Can you send it by mail with the password to someone so that we try?
denverdad

Post by denverdad »

That's a really good idea, but I'm afraid the document is too confidential for that. Passwords to my various banking, and business accounts. Thanks anyway. I appreciate your willingness to help.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Indeed, no question about that.

Do you have a friend with another OS on which you could try?
Do you have a backup? Have you checked the backup folder in the profile? See [Tutorial] The User Profile.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Possibly try a linux Live DVD (or USB equivalent). I think some of the Live DVD images come with LibreOffice installed.
denverdad

Post by denverdad »

I was just thinking about that. I believe my son might be able to try it on his PC. I looked over your tutorial and I hate to admit it but that would be way over my head. So I hope sending the file to my son will solve the problem. I have no other backup. Thanks again.
acknak

Post by acknak »

If you know for sure that the file is password-protected, you can send it out without worrying. We can check whether the file is damaged or not and the document content is still protected by the password.

You can also check it yourself by trying to load the file into a zip archive manager; if that also fails, then the file is damaged and OOo won't be able to do anything with it.

If the file is damaged, which is what it sounds like to me, based on your original description, then there's very little hope of getting anything out of the file, even with the password--sorry to say.
denverdad

Post by denverdad »

I did it!!! I can't believe it was so easy. Just fooling around, I selected my problem file and told my iMac to open it with "Pages". I never use Pages, never liked it. That's why I downloaded and used OpenOffice. I don't know what made me think to do this, but it worked and I have my file back (now unprotected until I figure out what happened). I'd still like to find out what caused the problem, but I'm just glad I have my file back. Thanks to everyone for your time.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Wow. Glad to hear it turned out to be something simple.

No matter what application you use to work on the file, make sure you have a safe, undamaged backup copy somewhere.
denverdad

Post by denverdad »

I certainly will. Lesson learned. Thanks.
Hagar Delest

Re: [Solved] Password Protected File

Post by Hagar Delest »

Note that encryption with .doc is not that robust IIRC, especially with something else than MS Office (remember that the import/export filters have been reverse engineered).